Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Do you wear rubber gloves when gutting your deer?

• Yes

Votes: 102 41.3%
  • No

Votes: 106 42.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 39 15.8%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually do, but it sure does reduce the feeling of the knife in my hand.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I do, it makes cleaning up so much easier. I have not noticed a significant loss in dexterity...IMO.

·
Registered
735 Posts
the only reason i do is i have to drive to my property and don't want blood and crud all over a 30K truck. The blood usually gets on my forearm anyway, but like i said it's just easier to use the gloves. I also trown the gloves in the bag with the heart and liver as well, so i don't leave them in the woods

·
Registered
470 Posts
if i got some yea... if not no big deal...

·
Registered
18,783 Posts
I never did in the past but the last couple of years I have been using surgical gloves and it sure does keep the mess down that's for sure. I have no problem going either way.

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
I didn't for years but I do now. Must be getting soft in my old age;) I use the yellow dish washing gloves. They actually improve the grip on my knife.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I do! I also use gloves when handling a knife in a commercial kitchen, so it's second nature for me. Have no problem with handling the knife, but I use latex free medical grade gloves instead of some of the cheap loose fitting plastic gloves.

I will also wear that type of glove underneath my hunting gloves, make great liner gloves and will keep yout hands warmer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I never have and never really thought about it. A couple weekends ago I shot a buck and went back up to the house to wait him out and my uncle who was hunting also asked me if I needed gutting gloves and I said "No, what for?". I figure it's part of the deal not getting all prissy when you gotta gut the thing you just killed. But then I got to thinking it would be good to use when cutting around the bung so as not to taint your hands when you open them up. I may just keep some rubber gloves around for that reason alone.

·
Registered
331 Posts
yes biodegradable so I can leave them with the gut pile

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I never have but clean up makes sense. Gotta think about diseases too I guess.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i've always used gutting gloves. my dad is very allergic to the deer hair, so i've been exposed to the gloves since I started hunting.

i use the kind (hunters specialties) that has the sleeve length trash-bag-like covering and then a medical glove that slips over that tight on each hand so you can have more control.

they really help for cleanup, i would take gloves over bare hands any time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will usually use medical gloves just to have clean hands to put everything away before dragging. its a mess when everything is covered in blood. baby wipes work wonders too!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I would if I had the chance:rant:, the deer that I got several years ago my partner showed me but he did the work.
Matt

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I didn't for years but I do now. Must be getting soft in my old age;) I use the yellow dish washing gloves. They actually improve the grip on my knife.
Don't BS us Skibum..You have actually been down-graded to camp bitch and are washing dishes, in your one piece long johns. The only time those gloves get bloody is when someone needs help gutting and they remembered you gutted one once before.;)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts