Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Do you support the earn-a-second-buck proposal?

• Yes

• No

201 - 220 of 610 Posts

· Registered
23,989 Posts
Stop telling them about the NW13...APRs don't work, there is nothing to see up there :cool:
I didn't see any deer my last hunt there.
So there!

I don't hear of what gets hauled out most of the 13. Don't really look for it either.
Good friend has been hunting a niche on public "there" for some years now on and off each year. To not over hunt it. Oh the tales...
Not a spot to kill anything but a brute due to a punishing recovery before the dragger meets a road.
I've been offered a guard the parking spot from deer position for accessibility's sake , and a likelyhood of at least deer sighting(s).
I'd rather the A.P.R. come to me closer. Just getting to be too far a run anymore much as I miss some old haunts. Most of which aren't so "wild" anymore.

Were it not for the prior A.P.R. here , I might have gone back just for the possibility.
The right spot a buck gets some age on with some seclusion ,could understandably pay off.
I don't suggest one is going to die of old age to him yet. But there's good reason my friend is sold on that public spot.
It certainly compliments an A.P.R. to bucks that find it. Once beyond yearling age it becomes more attractive as a place to elude hunting pressure. Just like it did here under the four on a side.

Reactions: Craves

· Registered
4,515 Posts
OBR with no APR would be perfect.
I'm with you on this.

Counterarguments that are nothing more than "Look as these big antlers after APRs" are nonsense based on a particular vision of what hunting should be.

· Premium Member
19,661 Posts
I'm with you on this.

Counterarguments that are nothing more than "Look as these big antlers after APRs" are nonsense based on a particular vision of what hunting should be.
Show me data that says OBR will advance the buck age structure. Show me data that shows obr protects over 50% of the yearling bucks harvested. If you can't or Obrs don't do that, then what is the sense of having OBR?

· Premium Member
19,661 Posts
I'm not too worried about this proposal. It's statewide and any proposal statewide won't pass through the NRC. And this ridiculous earn a 2nd buck in designated DMUs is just that , ridiculous, it won't pass the nrc either. These guys have to realize this and adjust their proposals accordingly.
There needs to be provisions for exempting the youth and seniors or it won't fly.

· Registered
14,468 Posts
I would just report a doe kill with the online reporting system. Whose gonna know if I actually shot one?
Yeah I can see it now.... Guy calls RAP line... "Yes I'd like to report my neighbor"
And what are you reporting he did.
"He didn't shoot a deer"

Yes officer imma need you to respond to a unshot deer.

"Unshot deer"

Yes I received a complaint from a guy that his neighbor didn't shoot a deer... If you could go check it out see if there is any evidence he didn't shoot a deer...

😂😂😂

· Premium Member
19,661 Posts
Yeah I can see it now.... Guy calls RAP line... "Yes I'd like to report my neighbor"
And what are you reporting he did.
"He didn't shoot a deer"

Yes officer imma need you to respond to a unshot deer.

"Unshot deer"

Yes I received a complaint from a guy that his neighbor didn't shoot a deer... If you could go check it out see if there is any evidence he didn't shoot a deer...

😂😂😂
It's a laughing stock proposal. I can't believe they came up with that. Talk about shooting one self in the foot. So if a kid shoots a buck on the youth hunt and then goes out on opening day bow season and sees a better buck he can't shoot that buck. Or if some one hunts public land and shoots a buck then goes down state to their lease and their target buck shows up they can't shoot that buck of they haven't seen a doe to shoot. There's going to be quite a few pissed off people over that one. I don't know why but this lack of thought on this whole proposal is infuriating.
It's a perfect idea to turn anyone who was on the fence about APRs to totally slam the door on them.

· Registered
2,015 Posts
It's a laughing stock proposal. I can't believe they came up with that. Talk about shooting one self in the foot. So if a kid shoots a buck on the youth hunt and then goes out on opening day bow season and sees a better buck he can't shoot that buck. Or if some one hunts public land and shoots a buck then goes down state to their lease and their target buck shows up they can't shoot that buck of they haven't seen a doe to shoot. There's going to be quite a few pissed off people over that one. I don't know why but this lack of thought on this whole proposal is infuriating.
It's a perfect idea to turn anyone who was on the fence about APRs to totally slam the door on them.
When I was growing up, and started deer hunting, the law was one deer per year, regardless of how it was taken. "Doe permits" were rare. There was not special youth season, our dads took us up to the camp. At 14 it was a "right of passage". Old enough to hunt with a gun and hang out with the men. Too bad those days are gone.

· Registered
1,713 Posts
If this regulation was in place in 2021 the best hunting season of my life wouldn’t of happen because I would of been forced to pass the biggest buck off my property and shoot the doe he was chasing. How dumb is that!

· Premium Member
31,890 Posts
It's not clear that there will be any APR component in the finished proposal since I have not seen it published anywhere yet and have not seen the DNR's response and or modifications to it yet either. The main thing that the proposal hinges on is the earn a second buck thrust and that is what I'm trying to gauge approval on.
The ONLY way the proposing groups will go forward with this proposal is with the APR component on all buck tags.

· Premium Member
31,890 Posts
Nice!! Surprised someone hasn't already mentioned the fact we could be waiting to kill a doe to receive a second buck tag & a shooter buck walks by. 🤔 🤔
That's only an issue if you already killed a "shooter buck".

· Premium Member
19,661 Posts
If this regulation was in place in 2021 the best hunting season of my life wouldn’t of happen because I would of been forced to pass the biggest buck off my property and shoot the doe he was chasing. How dumb is that!
Vince that is what just totally pisses me off. I'm sorry I know the intentions are good but damn, It just doesn't help in getting more APRs established if that's their goal.

· Premium Member
31,890 Posts
This ain't crap . Public land hunters are getting it done in the NW13. Look at stats for cripes sakes. APRs do exactly what they were intended to do and then some. Tell this Kalkaska public land hunter their crap.
View attachment 880097

It's a lot of fun hunting where older age class bucks exist. Year after year I watch spikes and forks while im in the APR zone, and every year I see legal bucks that a got a free pass their first-year. Every year I see sign of older bucks, most years I get to catch glimpses of them. This is the best my hunting has been up here in a long time. I'll gladly travel to the NW13 where APRs exist. We don't need a mandatory doe tag to kill a 2nd buck. We don't need a one buck rule. But if you want a better chance at older age class bucks APRs for the public land hunter is where it's at.
I'd rather tell him to put down the Twinkies!

Reactions: brushbuster

· Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
The ONLY way the proposing groups will go forward with this proposal is with the APR component on all buck tags.
If if that's the case, what's stopping the DNR from removing the APR component in such a recommendation to the NRC? Or, for what every reason, removing the APR component at a later date? I remember a couple years ago when the DNR tried to get rid of the Hunter's Choice regulations in the U.P. despite overwhelming hunter support for those regs there. If it weren't for two NRC commissioners, it would have been history too. Those two two commissioners are gone now. It has become very obvious to me that the current DNR does not like APRs and they and the NRC can't be trusted, which is sad.

· Registered
3,635 Posts
Sounds perfect for all the OBR guys then.
Listened to a tiny bit of the 2 guys pushing this last night, they talking about bringing back dmu with doe quotas for each one. Some may not be eligible for a second buck based on deer population. They turning it into a headache, even less of a chance of this happening

201 - 220 of 610 Posts