Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Do you support the earn-a-second-buck proposal?

• Yes

• No

181 - 200 of 610 Posts

· Registered
2,737 Posts
No, I do not support this proposal. I don't support any proposal where a vocal group wants to force everyone to hunt their way. If someone wants to earn a buck on their property or within their co-op so be it and good for them managing their way. This proposal has no basis in biology which is what we're supposed to use for the basis of changes.

· Registered
23,989 Posts
You're last two sentences are all that matters. they are true with most all of our regulations. Anybody that honestly wants to know why we have the hunting that we have? Our regulations, both old and new, are basically unenforceable. They all depend on hunter honesty. Our state has so many small private parcels that most laws don't work. That includes MAPRs, baiting, and EAB if it becomes reality.
And for the legal hunters ignoring poaching's contribution when considering regulations , the number of deer poached affects what deer and type of deer remain.

Not finding an estimate of total kills percentage in a quick search.
Illegal hunting complaints reach record numbers during pandemic, arrests down. - Spartan Newsroom (msu.edu)

· Premium Member
19,661 Posts
About 2% of the hunting population can decipher the rule book now. Add in earn a buck which would have to include and exclude multiple areas of the state and you are looking at disaster.
Why not just make it a one buck state across the board ? much easier for us nimrods to comprehend.
I don't know, michigan regs are extremely simple compared to other states regs. Wyoming and Alaska are extremely complicated. We probably have some of the simplest regs out there.

· Registered
1,225 Posts
If you seriously want to kill Does and save Bucks, mandatory them for the youth hunt. :hide:
Does Only for the youth hunt is an excellent idea.

· Registered
1,672 Posts
No support from me.
If doe need killed so bad that bucks need restricted then quit killing bucks. Let alone multiple , (which I do sometimes.)

Kill a doe this year to be eligible for a single buck tag next year (entire season one buck limit) , I'll support. But ONLY where doe need reduced so bad that bucks need to be taken off the table.
And I won't agree that an N.D.A. voice should determine that doe need reduced where. Example , Keweenaw should have an earn a buck?
Does Kip Adams hunt there? Does he hunt where I hunt? Or he just knows I need an earn a buck better than I?

I disagreed when I read this article months ago. Still do.
Too broad a brush. And as usual devalues doe. That devaluing is a big part of the problem.
Remember your first doe tag? Did you throw your first doe kill away or see value in it?
A doe required to buy a buck tag and you may expect more (just in case you have not seen discarded deer before , they exist) wasted deer. With doe devalued yet again.

Earn-a-Buck: An Effective, Divisive Way to Manage Deer | An Official Journal Of The NRA (americanhunter.org)
I love your thinking here. Instead of putting more money into the DNR coffers.. shot a doe the previous year for an added buck tag. That is only if the dmu has enough does.

· Registered
322 Posts
OBR with no APR would be perfect. I’m lucky enough to hunt private. For the masses that hunt public, APR’s are crap. I’ve noticed some on here will hunt public to shoot a buck they wouldn’t kill in their own place. Also crap. With this new proposal, the State will get most to buy three tags instead of two. Actually, it’s brilliant. The season is so damn long, it’s like lottery ticket mentality. I just hope the buck tag continues to be good for a doe.

· Registered
5,624 Posts
OBR with no APR would be perfect. I’m lucky enough to hunt private. For the masses that hunt public, APR’s are crap. I’ve noticed some on here will hunt public to shoot a buck they wouldn’t kill in their own place. Also crap. With this new proposal, the State will get most to buy three tags instead of two. Actually, it’s brilliant. The season is so damn long, it’s like lottery ticket mentality. I just hope the buck tag continues to be good for a doe.
Yes! More licenses are sold on November 14th than any other day...OBR will keep those guys who hunt a few days a year from killing that second buck while they are sitting over their bag of bait. Absolutely tremendous reasoning & forethought. Successful APR areas be damned, OBR is the answer...

It has become quite comical (or sad depending on your perspective) how little thought this crowd puts into this idea.

And the beat goes on....

· Registered
5,736 Posts
The masses don't hunt public. Only 18% of Michigan hunters hunt exclusively on public land.
But when you add in the hunters that hunt both, it can seem like masses. I've known many hunters with private land access stick to public during the early archery season, saving their private for firearms. I think those are the guys that he's talking about.

· Premium Member
19,661 Posts
This ain't crap . Public land hunters are getting it done in the NW13. Look at stats for cripes sakes. APRs do exactly what they were intended to do and then some. Tell this Kalkaska public land hunter their crap.
Trophy hunting Hunting Plant Deer hunting Cloud

It's a lot of fun hunting where older age class bucks exist. Year after year I watch spikes and forks while im in the APR zone, and every year I see legal bucks that a got a free pass their first-year. Every year I see sign of older bucks, most years I get to catch glimpses of them. This is the best my hunting has been up here in a long time. I'll gladly travel to the NW13 where APRs exist. We don't need a mandatory doe tag to kill a 2nd buck. We don't need a one buck rule. But if you want a better chance at older age class bucks APRs for the public land hunter is where it's at.

· Registered
5,624 Posts
This ain't crap . Public land hunters are getting it done in the NW13. Look at stats for cripes sakes. APRs do exactly what they were intended to do and then some. Tell this Kalkaska public land hunter their crap.
View attachment 880097

It's a lot of fun hunting where older age class bucks exist. Year after year I watch spikes and forks while im in the APR zone, and every year I see legal bucks that a got a free pass their first-year. Every year I see sign of older bucks, most years I get to catch glimpses of them. This is the best my hunting has been up here in a long time. I'll gladly travel to the NW13 where APRs exist. We don't need a mandatory doe tag to kill a 2nd buck. We don't need a one buck rule. But if you want a better chance at older age class bucks APRs for the public land hunter is where it's at.
Stop telling them about the NW13...APRs don't work, there is nothing to see up there :cool:

· Registered
1,640 Posts
Brush there’s not much point in arguing with carnivore…. Earlier in the thread he posted his camp has 15 guys on 300 acres or roughly twenty acres a piece, close enough to each other they see the same deer… Couldn’t see the irony in why his hunting was lacking, yet was quick to watch the apr idea, one which has proven success through testimony and personal experience.

· Registered
5,736 Posts
Brush there’s not much point in arguing with carnivore…. Earlier in the thread he posted his camp has 15 guys on 300 acres or roughly twenty acres a piece, close enough to each other they see the same deer… Couldn’t see the irony in why his hunting was lacking, yet was quick to watch the apr idea, one which has proven success through testimony and personal experience.
Personal experience varies.

181 - 200 of 610 Posts