Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I guess the title states it pretty well. I have used mono or copoly lines for walleye jigging for 12 years. I'm interested in your opinions on Fire-Line (or other lines) for ice jigging.

1) How do they handle under very cold conditions?
2) Do they absorb water (stiff) and/or freeze ice easily?
3) Do they have any negative characteristics on the ice?
4) Are they prone to looping, tangling, or jumping off the spool?

Thanks to all,

'Eye-Skater

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I tried it for the first time last year for browns through the ice, and it worked great as a main line. I used a four pound mono lead though. I decided to use it to eliminate the threat of the mono getting cut on the edge of the hole on a quick run by the fish. I didn't run into any problems using it at all.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It's all I use for my jigging walleye rods anymore. Yes, it can have a tendacy for freezing on the spool, but I usually fish out of a shanty and it's a non-issue. I use a 6 or 8lb mono or flouro for a leader. It helps me to see and feel the bites better, and is tougher when it comes to scraping the side of the hole.

Last year I used fireline coupled with an 8lb maxima leader. Believe it or not, on one rod I made it the whole season without changing the line or even the leader. What a bullet proof combo.

Make sure to use a mono backing so it doesn't slip on the spool.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
thats the only type of line i will use. my uncle told me about it three years ago and have never used anything else, you dont have to worry about a walleye busting the line. i use the 6 pound test and have never lost a walleye due to line breaking since then. it is definitely worth the money.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Yes I like fireline for the walleye rods....tend to stay in the shanty also, it will ice a little but its not usually a big problem. 6lb yellow also for me.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have it on a couple of jigging rods, and haven't had a problem (except for 1 rod broken on an exuberant hook set). I absolutely LOVE if jigging for lakers. Get a great feel and set 100' down.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
:yeahthat: On all the above. Stay in the shanty to protect from the freeze up issue, only draw back encountered. Pluses outweigh the negatives by far ! ;) In the river, no leader required, with good rersults, in the Bay (super clear), use a flouro leader. :cool:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
use it on perch rods too. 4-1. will bring a walley in too.

·
Registered
823 Posts
FishingJoe said:
except for 1 rod broken on an exuberant hook set
Exuberent ???? Hmmmm... so that's what I was obsrving... exuberence !

I use the stuff also as a main-line, I use spiderwire for leader. Very good "deep feel" with fireline.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I had some backlash issues last year but may have been me :bash: or the fact that the jigging rap I had was pretty light.
Also was wondering why the flourocarbon leader? Does not that just defeat using fireline all together? Is it just the scraping on the side of the hole?
Typically I thought braided lines were best used in trolling situation where you have a lot of line stress and issues with stretching etc. In general your line does not experience the same type of stress if you are just dropping it down the hole and pulling up a lethargic walleye. :confused:

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
There is no doubt that put under pressure all line stretches some more than others. How many pounds of pressure does it take to quickly put a treble or jig hook through the inside of a fishes mouth or lip (do fish have lips?)? Seems like not much. Some line especially flourocarbon will hold its stretch.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I've tried it some???went back to the old tried and true Trilene XT in invisible green...never a problem....I only walleye fish at Houghton though....so deepest I fish is probably 12-14 ft....but mostly in the 5-6 ft. range!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I mainly fish for walleyes on the Great Lakes, with many fish running over 6-7 pounds and a few over 10 each winter. In 12 years I believe I've had ONE fish break off at the hole using mono or copoly lines, so break-strength or abrasion-resistance is of less concern to me. Incidentally, I think the use of a longer medium action rod is the reason I don't break fish off.

My interest in FireLine has to do with less stretch, better feel, better hookset and knot strength. I have basically few problems with mono, so don't wish to deal with a round of new ones if I go to FireLine. I won't use a line that readily jumps or coils off of my spinning reel; a bit of memory is a good thing in a spinning line. I also dislike a line that ices or frosts up easily and therefore feels stiff. I'm mainly watching for your comments that tell me what traits this line has under severe cold use.

Thanks to everyone for your comments, and keep telling me what you think.

'Eye-Skater

1 - 14 of 14 Posts