• Sometimes

Votes: 62 17.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
My buddy and I have a 6pt. rule. Normally we wait for an 8pt if we have been seeing any by hunting or by trail cam. Our new hunters or youth hunters have no restrictions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I beg the state for restrictions! I watched young bucks all bowseasons letting them pass only to see them get smoke first to days of rifle season. Why? Eat a doe we have way too many in Midland County. Seeing a mature buck is like waiting to see your children born. Only happens a couple times a lifetime. Any they are running for the hills.

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
We have been doing so on our private land for the last 7 years (this year included). While there has been some improvement in age structure, substantial improvement won't be seen until the surrounding properties follow suit.
DING, DING. I passed up a six point a few days ago that was shot within 20 minutes of passing by my stand. That was the third time in as many days of hunting that I passed that same deer up.

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Nothing as simple as point restrictions, mine has many variables, have I taken a doe, how much time will I have to hunt and most importantly are my feet cold.

Doe in the freezer and my feet are warm, my standards are very very high, no meat and my toes are numb, my standards are much lower.

Has served me very well. I have meat every year and more then what I consider to be my share of trophy deer.:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's simple for our group we only shoot a buck if were going to have it mounted. as for meat thers plenty of does to shoot. I passed on several small bucks this archery season hopeing to see them next year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
the neighbors and myself have the if your not putting it on the wall it walks if you need meat shoot a doe. This rule is working pretty good we all don't get a buck every yr but so what we hunt we have a good time and thats what hunting is to us. We even shoot does for the feed the hungery program to help do our part in managing the herd and help those that our having a rough time these days.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
YES, we have been 8 or bigger for at least 5 yrs now. Its the neighbors not puling there weight to see much of a difference in age but the 21/2 and occasional 31/2 are there every year. Have trail cam picks but can never close the deal. Some of there picks are in my album

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I wonder what most hunter consider enough Deer? For us, its two. With apr there's a greater chance of families getting the number of deer by shooting bucks only. That means they will be much more likely to take an antlerless...hopefully a doe. Higher doe harvest and more older deer running around makes almostmost hunters happier.

The fact is most of michigan land is too divided to make voluntary restrictions effective...see previous posts. Apr may be the best thing for mich hunting...like it was for pennsylvania.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Our co-op is approaching 20,000 acres. We have set 3pts on a side as a guideline. This protects the vast majority of yearlings, and a few 2.5yr olds. Most guys hold themselves to a higher standard.:coolgleam

·
Premium Member
9,533 Posts
I voted no, because of the area in which I live and hunt. Because of TB, there has already been mandated (forced and against public opinion) antler restrictions imposed for this area. However wrong the science is or isn't. But according to that science, the bucks are the major problem for spreading it. So now, the way they want it, anything with 3pts on one side or larger needs to be shot to help with the reduction of TB.

On the other hand, prior to the forced implementation of AR's because of TB, the last 20 years had been 8pt or better BY CHOICE.

Another reason why the NELP needs to be seperated from the rest of the state.........

·
Registered
20,922 Posts
I voted no, The MDNRE has stated that there is NO BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE TO SUPPORT APR's

Interesting that in the NELP they instituted APR'S to reduce the amount of mature bucks........Every other area was to increase mature bucks, How can it do both........

·
Premium Member
31,795 Posts
Interesting. Nearly 66% do and 84% either do or sometimes do.
I know that the folks answering this pole are a minority but there are a lot of responses (337).:)

Big T

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
As of right now we won't go anything less than an 8 point that's to his ears - with that said I am trying to learn more and more about aging deer on the hoof so that if aforementioned 8 point comes by and he's not to a mature age, I can let him walk

·
Premium Member
31,795 Posts
As of right now we won't go anything less than an 8 point that's to his ears - with that said I am trying to learn more and more about aging deer on the hoof so that if aforementioned 8 point comes by and he's not to a mature age, I can let him walk
Or just as important, if a mature 6 pt walks by you would want to take him.;)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
very true QMan, my buddy's father has been practicing QDMA in Branch County for around 7 years now; he took a 21 inch wide, 4.5 year old 6 on Nov 15 - cool lookin rack too, went mostly sideways and up haha
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
As a serious question....

Why do people practice APR's, sometimes?

1.) Is it becuase after 1,2, or 3 years you're not seeing the caliber of bucks you intended, thus reverting back to shooting whatever makes you happy?

2.) Change in hunting land?

3.) Not enough neighbors on board?

4.) Angry at the DNR? Piss on them attitude?

5.) Do you practice APR's early season but not late season if you don't have your buck?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Because 2/3 of the hunters are already practicing antler point restrictions there is no need to mandate it. The only real valid reason to kill a deer is to eat it. They all eat the same regardless of the number of points. If the antlers are so important, why don't we all just kill a big antlered buck, cut the antlers off and leave the rest of the deer in the field. People will just poach the smaller bucks anyway. Read your own bi-weekly reports.

I have shot does, spikes and all the way up to an 11 point buck. I do not consider any of the hunts or the deer to be of low quality.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.