• Sometimes

Votes: 62 17.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
Do you already practice "voluntary" Antler Point Restrictions while hunting?

Comments will be allowed, however please direct them to the APR work group and not eachother. This forum will follow the same rules and guidelines as the whitetail forum.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
YES!!! I have made a personal choice to not shoot any buck unless it has at least 3 pts on one side. And with that said, that buck has to be mature. ex.) a mature 6 pt buck...

Here is a real life experience. My wife and I drove around Mason County in late august 2010. I took pictures of 27 different bucks in one evening! Using my 3pt on one side rule.... 25 of the 27 bucks would make it to next year!!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Loosely. I would rather shoot a 3 year old 6 point than a 1 1/2 year old 8 point. I think APR is a great start point though and easy to follow
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
I was instrumental in adding apr to our camp in 1995. It was a tough vote with the votes falling along age demographics. Younger crowd (now mid 40s) were for them, older wives tale believers were against. Apr passed by a vote, we had a one man advantage. :evil:

We chose apr as the method, because it was easiest for the indiscriminate shooters to id targets. I consider it a stepping stone to better target management and not an end all. The next step requires even more education, which is now being implemented with a select crew in the new camp.

The exception to the rule is when I'm invited as a guest, I'll hunt as the owner requests. I've yet to be forced to shooting under my standards, though.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Loosely. I would rather shoot a 3 year old 6 point than a 1 1/2 year old 8 point. I think APR is a great start point though and easy to follow
Posted via Mobile Device

:yeahthat:

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Here at home won't shoot one unless 3 1/2 or older but this year hunting state land far from home shot a spike. Might not be the answer everyone wants but it's how I did it this year. I can only get one doe tag and right now the hunting in my back yard really sucks. I also can't afford to drive the distance to the stateland all that often so I put meat in the freezer.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I just follow the rules the state/DNRE sets for us. I may or may not shoot a young small racked buck, my choice. I dont set any kind of restrictions on anyone at our camp. Shoot what ever you choose as long as its legal to shoot.

I hunt at a traditional northern Michigan deer camp. Been going there for all my life. I have watched the deer hunting go full circle. From next to nothing as far as deer, to deer everywhere, back to the current very low numbers. Nothing in the SLP can compare to a traditional Northern Michigan deer camp for rifle season. The best hunting of the year and I'm not talking about killing deer. If you have never experienced it you are missing out on the true tradition of Michigan deer hunting.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Yes, for years it's been a mainframe 8 or bigger with a spread outside the ears. Basically a buck that you can look at and say "that's a shooter" - not something that I would feel obligated to try and justify as being "big enough".

This year due to changes outside my control, I've set more realistic expectations - a decent 6 or bigger (aka a 6 with decent tine length/spread - not something I'd have to justify meeting the requirements).

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Absolutely, everyone at our camp purchases a combo tag and follows it to the letter. The only ones that get a break are beginners their first year and those under sixteen years of age.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Not per se.

We shoot for age as opposed to rack points.

While the APR is a good general start we've seen instances of older deer without tine development or other oddities. Some due to injuries and others for no apparent reason that we right off as "genetics"...either way they get targeted and taken if given the opportunity.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Nope. (Of course we abide by the 2nd restricted tag of a combo license, but the question relates to SELF imposed restrictions, meaning in addition to following the letter of the law)

Right now the deer eat the flowers around the house. They destroy the trees that we plant on our property. They run in front of the car almost every single night on the way home.

We'll stop mowing down anything that's brown when the population gets to the point that we don't feel like we're being invaded by deer. While in the NLP the population may be lower, in my area people are BEGGING us to shoot them.

We've been offered (and politely refused due to legal reasons) tags from almost every neighbor because they don't own enough land to hunt, but have huge problems with deer in their gardens, trees, flowers around the house, etc.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I put a self imposed limit of 100" on myself back in 2002. I shot a small 8pnt in 2001 and said thats the last small buck I am going to shoot. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to shoot a 100" buck in Michigan, hence the reason I look forward to my out of state archery hunts every year. I also think the restriction should be 3pnts up top on one antler. Its easier to see and there is not "assuming" the deer had brow tines, only to find out he didnt. This would not protect that "big 6" many claim would not be legal.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
On the public land I try to target any buck that is 2 1/2 or older. It dosent matter what the antlers are as long as his body says 2 1/2 or older. The last 2 years I have shot bucks with antlers on one side that are growing straight down with 1 or 2 points on that side. The one I shot this year has one point on one side and 3 or 4 on the other depending on how you look at it. Neither of these bucks had any injuries I could find and I cut up my own deer. The last 3 years I have shot 1 2 1/2 year old buck each year.

I have not been seeing many does so I have not been shooting them but if I had a chance at a large doe I would take her.

If its late in the season and I have not filled a tag I will kill the first deer I get a chance at no matter what it is.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.