Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember reading that there is a stage of soy bean growth that the deer will not eat them. Anyone have any info on this? Or am I not remembering correctly?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I think it is when they start to change color, like now in So mich. I have not seen my daily commute bean field deer in a couple weeks now.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
This is correct, when the beans start to lose their green color and turn yellow the deer stop eating them..After they have turned brown(dryed up till harvest) the deer will pretty much leave alone..Now after Harvest the deer will come back in and browse later in the season, or if in plots, come snow/winter weather the deer tend to make their way back to beans.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
This is correct, when the beans start to lose their green color and turn yellow the deer stop eating them..After they have turned brown(dryed up till harvest) the deer will pretty much leave alone..Now after Harvest the deer will come back in and browse later in the season, or if in plots, come snow/winter weather the deer tend to make their way back to beans.
:yeahthat:

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Beans are primo in the late season if they were poorly harvested (lots of spillage) or still standing. Beans after some hard frosts are irresistable to deer. This time of year, they start to feed on them less and less until late season. They still feed in them, but it's not like July/August.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I dont know but I saw 9 of them feeding in the corner of a feild that I plan on hunting opening day. I hope there still coming in on Oct 1. I'm looking forward to muzzleloader over the bean field as well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have beans behind the house and I have noticed that since they changed colors the deer have been at it less. I did see a nice 10-point out there last evening rummaging around, he will be hard to pass up this weekend... :evil:

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
They may use it less because there is a lot of really good forage (apples, acorns) hitting the ground, but I have watched many deer walk down the rows and strip the pods of the seed this time of year. They just eat different parts now.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
When I hunted down there, they always stopped eating the beans around the time they started to turn yellow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts