Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I were at Selfridge Thurs. straight out from the . blue building just south of the launch entrance. We were 150 to 200 yards out in 3-4' of water If you don,t have any luck sunday wander over to that area and help me retrieve: 4 bud light cans,1 blue plastic cup, complete with napkins stuffed in it, 1 pint bottle of brandy? I think, along with other items I can,t recall. During our journey that day we picked up 2 1# tanks, 3 more beer cans, a swival seat and various paper products.why would some choose to drop an item down the hole rather than put it between there legs in the bucket? That,s my lake your $$#%%%&## with. take your junk home!!!

casey7

·
Registered
255 Posts
Those same pigs must be at the rivers, woods, lakes and roads that I travel. Coincidence? I doubt it, all humans are messy.
Its just that some are more aware of it than others.
A TRUE SPORTSMAN picks up after themselves.
At least thats what I was taught.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Windy days on the ice are a recipe for disaster, as far as litter goes. I know thats NO excuse, but it happens. I haven't been stopped yet,,,, but I keep wondering if the cops will believe me, when I tell them " No, I wasn't drinkin', these are the empties from the jackasses that leave them on the ice". I ALWAYS forget to throw them in the garbage when I get to shore,, then when I get home,,, I get the "evil eye" from my wife, cause she knows I don't drink, Bud Light, Bud or Busch.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
the saddest thing is....IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE TO PICK UP YOUR TRASH

you can judge the state of a society by something like this

ill bet 30 years ago, you wouldnt find any garbage on the ice

we live in a world full of brain dead, ignorant losers

unfortunately, THEY ARE THE MAJORITY...just look at what type of government THEY have voted for...a total slave system

happy fishing, fellow slaves

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
I have fished in Michigan for over 50 years and yes we have had slobs on the water and ice for all those years. I sat in a parking lot in Flint the other day and watched a guy clean out his mini van he tossed a large garbage bag a box and a couple of hands full of loose paper on the lot and drove off. I called the police and gave them his plate number along with a discription and I would bet dollars to donuts they never act on it. every time I see some one littering I turn them in. I get tired of picking up trash behind the pigs. now if we could just get the police to inforce the law it would work I pick up beer cans and all sorts of junk off the ice or out of the water in the summer hell I don't even drink but I always have a bag of emptys. Well getting that off my chest felt good. LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Casey7,
Sir, I applaud and salute your efforts… indeed my hat is off to you, and all who do not hesitate to pick up and bring home the trash they find (along with any fish they catch) while hunting or fishing in our great state!

Yes casey7 you're absolutely right, of late the Selfridge access site seems to be the worst one I see every winter. I was there on Wednesday February 18th, and while there, I too picked a 1lb. propane fuel tank, a ½ pint booze bottle, one beer can, two plastic pop bottles (one was a qt. bottle) and one plastic water bottle. All but one of these items was picked up off the ice out in front of the base. On Friday February 20th I also picked up another ½ pint booze bottle, another water bottle, and yet another 1lb. propane fuel canister, along with other assorted pieces of scarp rope, etc. about ¾ mile out in front of the Harrison DNR launch site (the one located at Ballor and Jefferson).

That some choose to dump their trash in our lakes ought to be an outrage to every true sportsman and sportswoman! Indeed all sportsmen and sportswomen ought to be outraged beyond the point where they would refrain from saying something when they see such people (pigs) fishing near them. Those who intentionally trash our environment ought to be on the receiving end of our collective wrath, each and every single time we see them exhibit such outrageous conduct. It’s the behavior of these few who make all of us sports persons look bad. When I see such garbage out on the ice, I can’t help but think that these people must certainly live their lives as pigs no matter what they are doing or where they are, whether at home, on the lake, in the woods or out traveling on our streets and highways. In fact, if you have ever traveled or driven the highways down south (i.e. Florida & Georgia), what’s immediately apparent, is just how really bad these same people make our state look to those who visit Michigan – they make all Michiganders look like pigs! And, not only do they make us look bad, they waste our tax dollars because we have to pay to have someone clean up after them.

I can’t recall of an ice fishing outing this winter where I haven’t walked out of my way to pick up someone else’s trash! We must all band together and voice our collective outrage if we ever hope to stop such poor behavior; and this forum (and FRS channel 7) could and should be used to accomplish just that.

Signed Dan K.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
We would most likely have more places to park and access the lakes (especially seasonal businesses) if it were not for the mess that the slobs leave behind.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I was at Gino's the other day and when I saw the trash all over the parking lot I thought "These guys better appreciate this lot in 2004 because when they finish remodeling the building there is no way we will be able to use that lot in 2005. "

Would you want to go to a restaurant whose parking lot looked like someone turned over a dumpster? Friday night/Saturday's wind blew a lot of junk away but it all ended up on the lake someplace.

Next year we'll all be back at Metro Beach.

One final note. SMOKERS Please!!!!! Field strip your butts. Tear off the filter and put it in your pocket. All of us veterans remember walking single file policing an area after the weekend. Just look at the curb at your next red light. All those filters should be in people's ashtrays and dumped at home.

Think I'll also start a new thread with this idea.

·
Registered
487 Posts
pigs do icefish - amazing huh ?

i expect litter from idiots in the city - but i am amazed at our "sportsmen, lovers of the outdoors" trashin up our special places

·
Registered
774 Posts
Perhaps if you could loose your hunting and fishing rights if you get caught littering while partaking in those sports that would stop some or most of the slobs?

I would strongly support such a regulation/law. As long as they would start nailing these SOB Companies/'Cities that dump sewage, chemicals, rain overflows into the lakes and streams.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Man, this is my pet peeve, every time I go out on St. Clair I ending up picking beer cans. Every 100 yards are more cigarette butts lying all over the ice..come on guys, thats ridiculous. No wonder people who dont enjoy the outdoors, get the image they do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have also picked up trash everytime I have been out. From empty propane bottles, beer cans, liquor bottles, cigarette packs etc.. At least I can pick these things up off the ice now. But what I cannot understand is the idiots that shove it down there holes and to the bottom of the lake and I have to take my time and fish it out instead of fish.
I usually fish at SANG and have noticed that there are no trash cans in the parking lot. Does anyone know why? The parking lot there is a mess.
Eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts