Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i ended up with 2 coons in my yote/fox sets so i remade one of the sets and the other i switched out the trap and remade it. well this morning both of my traps where dug out and unfired with yote tracks in the dirt. the one set i can see it being a dirty trap since i did not switch it out. so do you think i should move the sets back from the original 10' or 15' feet since they where getting worked or do i keep using the original sets? i did pull all my traps and they are boiling right now and getting redyed and waxed. im going to get some more coon sets out today cause i found a lot of fresh sign and the 2 i got yesterday looked good.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Congrats on the coons! I would make a set just outside the catch circle of the coons (about 6" or so) with fresh traps. They are attracted to that particular location but would be less likly to dig up your trap in non-coon smelling ground. Keep us posted.

Dan

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Honda xr is right, set a trap outside the catch circle for a circling yote, but it seems to me they are not circleing the set they are smelling dirty traps. My guess is they smell blood and are rolling in it fireing your traps or possibly digging. Check for hair in the traps once they have been fired for a yote rolling on your sets. I would remake both sets, but one set would have a sleeper trap catching him on the approach or exit. Then I would move 10 to 20 feet away and put in another set, but make this set look completely different and make it smell different as well. You have educated these yotes, so now you get to learn how to out witt them and thats the fun part. If you made dirt hole sets originally make somthing other than a dirt hole set, like a urine post set, walk through set, double dirt hole set etc. Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts