Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Administrator
18,847 Posts
Yes, deer eat hay.
I mean, they eat freakin bark if they have to!
Anyway, I had a neighbor who would put out apples, beets, carrots and fresh hay.... watching from his cabin, hay seemed to be one of their first choices.
<----<<<

· Administrator
18,847 Posts
Bucky said:
...i will put some out for them because i doubt they have alot to eat this time of year.
I don't know if their metabolism is quite up for hay at this time of the year. That would be another question, but I think that deer could bloat or get pretty sick if you could get them to eat that now anyway.
Here is a good link...
They say no hay in the winter....
http://www.state.me.us/ifw/hunttrap/deerfeed.htm

Just some of what is in this article...
Deer may STARVE when fed supplemental foods during winter.

Deer require one or two weeks to adjust to new foods. Waiting until deer are starving before offering supplemental foods actually hastens starvation. Stress (related to diet change) is minimized if deer are introduced to supplemental foods early in the winter, when they are still healthy.

Some foods are not easily digested by deer during winter. Hay of any kind, kitchen scraps, or cabbage and lettuce trimmings do not provide adequate nutrition for deer. Feeding these foods to deer can lead to starvation. Deer usually do well when apples, oats, or acorns are given as diet supplements. However, the best supplemental food is a complete horse, dairy, or deer formulation in pellet form. It contains about 14% protein and provides sufficient energy and fiber to promote normal digestive function in most deer.

<----<<<

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.