Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a huge batch of freshly sprouted ones this morning. Reviews all say edible, but opinions seem mixed on if they're tasty or not. Any tips on how to use them, or are they not worth bothering with?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I think the pear shaped ones are the best. I'm not sure if those are the same. I've never found them growing out of wood.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup ,eat them all the time. Pear-shaped Puffball. Lycoperdon pyriforme. As long as they are snow white like yours.
How do you generally use them? I’ve read that some people say the skin is tough and should be removed, is that really necessary? Thinking of using some in a breakfast scramble tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neither have I. Always the ground. Although probably from wood, just not on a log or stump.
These grow from very decayed old logs, the kind that are soft and crumbly. I found a bunch last year too, but they had already started to turn yellow inside. Funny fact about these mushrooms...the scientific name means “wolf fart” 🤣.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I found this one a couple of days ago, but not sure if it is a puff ball.

Mushroom Plant Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Fungus

Terrestrial plant Organism Plant Fungus Mushroom

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
That would be the Gem-studded Puffball.. Lycoperdon perlatum. A choice edible.
Ok, looking at your link, pear shaped are not what I find. The kind that I find do have an upside down pear shape but are about the size of a softball and not as bright white as a giant puffball. More of slightly tan skin color. Usually find them solo or maybe a few scattered. Never seen a cluster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts