Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Do you feel the DNRE has an agenda to ultimately institute Antler Point Restrictio

• Yes

Votes: 113 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 188 62.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
  • Do you feel the DNRE has an agenda to ultimately institute Antler Point Restrictions regardless of Hunters opinion?

Comments will be allowed, however please direct them to the APR work group and not eachother. This forum will follow the same rules and guidelines as the whitetail forum.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I voted NO. I believe the DNRE is a little afraid of losing license sales to the APR.

B

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Being a former state employee for 30 years, I think the DNRE would like to change many things concerning deer and deer hunting. However it is very complicated to do anything in the current state system. It will take years to get anything done.
With all the deer hunters telling them they need to do this, that and another thing, they have to be listening to someone.

With 700,000 deer hunters they will never get it right for everyone.
It is what it is.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Absolutely. It's takes a bit of conditioning to create the environment of acceptance. I've said many times change will come too slow for advocates and too fast for traditionalists, but change is coming. It's bigger than the state, too. It's implementing what is discovered through better knowledge of the species. Once implemented, it too is subject to change as knowledge is gained.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Yes, it is obvious that these regulations are moving across the state despite the degree of acceptance being below their own standards for approval. This will further the division of hunters and create more animosity toward the department and QDMA, even though some proponents of QDMA have not demanded these regulations.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I voted no. It apprears to me that the State of Michigan as a whole is more concerned with the quanity of deer, not the quality of deer. A great example is with non resident hunters. The state of Michigan basically only has one draw for non resident hunters to come and hunt. The U.P. with only 16000 out of state hunters last year the state is not making nearly as much money as it could be. I am not trying to advocate more hunters coming to MI, but what i am saying is that there is no draw. Who wants to come to MI and shoot a 4 pt? I know I don't....

·
Registered
20,920 Posts
I am not trying to advocate more hunters coming to MI, but what i am saying is that there is no draw.
Compare non-resident license sales to other states......

Yes, the QDM guy's seem to cry the loudest, the squeaky wheel always gets the grease
Interesting that so far the changes have been in the northern 2/3 of the state instead of the SLP were the problem lies.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
The only "agenda" is managing the deer herds by 2010 standards. As the experience in PA, MN and parts of MO have shown, APR's can increase antlerless kill but roughly 15% over "traditional" buck rules.

Other than that, there is no nefarious conspiracy.

·
Registered
470 Posts
No, but they should.:D If they had an agenda, it wouldn't have taken them over 4 years to start to work on finishing up the proposal process that they were supposed to have had done 4 years ago..

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Comments will be allowed, however please direct them to the APR work group and not eachother. This forum will follow the same rules and guidelines as the whitetail forum.

Guys, these poll are not for discussions amongst yourselves, take those discussions back to the main forums. Please direct you comments toward the workgroup only and save me a lot of time deleting posts.

Thanks

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think that the DNR would really LIKE to be like some of the other states that have implemented rules like this. However, I think they are finding that Michigan is different in many ways that these other states.

Ultimately, I feel that they want to (and will) force this upon many of us.

This is honestly, just a gut feeling.

As with baiting, some people wanted to get rid of it... now it's gone due to... without trying to start a fight... a very weak reason.

I feel like once they determine that this is what they want (and it's sounding like they are close) that it will get forced on those of us who do not want it to happen, no matter how many of us there are.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
apr,s will leave alot of hunters with un-used tags, and a lack of interest in spending time letting small bucks go by, then just not going hunting as the chance of seeing a "Large Buck" is so remote, less hunters, more deer, less money in the dnr-E coffers, OBR or EAB might have worked, lets see what happens without Becky, I own property and hunt in 452, with the APR I only have a a doe tag in my pocket. my trail cams tell me anything else would be a waste of money. six days in bow season and the tag is yet to be used,,,,,,, Ohio or new mexico next year, no more food plots, rye and corn plantings.... save my money for the trip away, last year I bought four tags, filled one, this year 1-0,

·
Banned
948 Posts
Who wouldn't want APR? the second year into it, everyone will be shooting 2.5-3.5 year old deer and be happy about it. If people choose to not hunt cause they can't shoot a forkhorn or a spike then they really aren't big on deer hunting anyway. I hunt in 4-5 other states every year and I can honestly say, Michigan is the worst. I might actually be happy to pay the 300$ for non-res combo if MI steps up and makes statewide APR's.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
:yeahthat:......

·
Registered
20,920 Posts
It seems to me that it is imperative that the public be educated on APR's. It seems that many believe that there will be big bucks behind every tree..........Thats just not the case.

Short term there will be improvement, As APR's are a short term solution. The long term 5+years are not so pretty.

Many consider Pa. to be comparable to mich, Here is their numbers..............

2001 season (pre-mars)........203,247 bucks

2009 season.......................108,330 bucks........almost 50%reduction

Doe harvest

2001 season........282,767 does

2009..................200,590 does

Total deer harvest last year (bucks&does) 308,920....lowest since 1987

Pre mars license sales 1,071,205.......last year 926,892.....14%reduction

·
Premium Member
18,716 Posts
I cant see any dnre agenda other than thinning the doe population maybe keep on collecting money from the cash cow.I can see how passing the xbow laws will increase recruitment but i think that was only for more cash cows. Maybee they plan on starting from scratch. As near as i can tell i cant see any valid management plan to include habitat management.
I truly believe they will continue to just spin in circles.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.