Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there were any other bowhunters on this site that received a fur bearers survey from the DNR?
Don

·
Registered
77 Posts
Im a trapper and never received one last year. I always fill them out and turn them in the last few years. However I also buy a bow license every year ....maybe thats why I got a survey ....You have to remember .............ready.................... it's the MDNR. :):D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the survey's you filled out in the past was the Cougar listed?

I'm sure I received this because of bowhunting and I spend at least 10 days in the field.

I'm finding this interesting because 2 yrs. ago I submitted picture's to the DNR of tracks found by my cottage in the snow and never got a relpy. Now they want to know if I've seen it!

I also sent the picture's to a Dr. Ruhz who was doing a study on Cougars in MI.

At first he was excited about them, then later on after a conference in Colorado where he discussed them with others he wasn't so sure.

But I know what I saw!

I've been hunting, fishing and trapping in MI. for along time and had never seen a track like that before.

The picture's that I took were taken on the morning after we found them and the snow had melted some. I guess I should have taken them that night.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There wasnt a question about cougars on the survey I filled out.
A few years ago my wife was running a dog grooming shop out between saline and manchester and saw a cougar out there. The owner called the DNR and they confirmed the tracks where cougar (like my wife couldnt tell what a cougar looks like at about 30 feet away). They said and I agree that wild cougars are Extinct
in michigan. And the ones that are around now have been turned loose by Irresponsible boobs that had them as pets and couldn’t take care of them after they grewup.

·
Registered
839 Posts
About 3-4years ago,my brother next door had the bark on a 12-16inch maple shredded in large strips and pealed from about 7' down.He had 2 on his property,& saw another on a neighbors.Around that time my kids looked out the glass door one morning to see why our dog was barking.They came to me and said it was a big cat.I, thought maybe they had mistaken a deer slinking across the hill.They said ,"DAD,a deer don't have a tail as long as it's body,and that this animal looked more black in color.The news reported sightings around DeWitt & Jackson,a few weeks later.Another article about sightings near Pentwater,said that there range could be 200 miles from a center point,so that the same cat could be seen all over the lower penninsula.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts