Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was from 1999. I don't know if any additional research has taken place since that time.

Here's the link:

http://www.michigandnr.com/publications/pdfs/huntingwildlifehabitat/Issue_Reviews/99baiting.pdf

A couple of highlights from the report:

Page 6:

Baiting has increased steadily among Michigan hunters. In 1984, only 29 percent of deer hunters reported
using bait (Langenau et al. 1985); 41 percent reported using bait to hunt deer in 1991 (Winterstein 1992).
In 1993, 56 percent of respondents reported using bait to hunt deer (Minnis and Peyton 1994). Archery
hunters use bait at a higher rate than firearm hunters; 71 percent reported using bait during at least part of the​
season compared to 53 percent of firearm hunters (Minnis and Peyton 1994).

Page 5:

While a majority of respondents who used bait felt the use of bait increased their chance of harvesting a deer,
most studies show baiting to be only slightly more effective in harvesting deer. A 1999 phone survey
conducted by the DNR reported that in Deer Management Unit (DMU) 452, 44 percent were successful
using bait, while 52 percent were successful without bait. Winterstein (1992) reported that hunters using bait
were 20 percent more effective in harvesting deer (3.8 deer harvested per 100 days of hunting) than those
who did not use bait (3.1 deer per 100 days of hunting). In the 1984 survey (Langenau et al. 1985), hunters
who used bait were no more effective in harvesting deer (2.4 deer per 100 hunter days) than those who did
not use bait (2.2 deer per 100 hunter days). A 1993 Wisconsin survey found that hunting with bait does not
increase a hunter’s success rate compared to those that did not use bait. In the survey, exactly one-half of
the hunters who used bait during their 1992 gun hunts bagged a deer while 54 percent of the hunters who did
not use bait bagged a deer (Wisconsin Bureau of Wildlife Management 1993). These findings are not
consistent over all geographic areas, however. A Texas study reported higher success rates, reduced kill
distances, more deer observed, and less time required to harvest a deer when hunting over bait (Synatzske
1981). These results should be interpreted with caution because they are not consistent with results of
surveys conducted in the north, and they may not be applicable in Michigan.
Because of higher harvest rates over baited sites in Texas, Synatzske (1981) suggested that baiting was an​
effective tool for increasing the harvest of deer in areas where higher deer harvest is needed.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
This was from 1999. I don't know if any additional research has taken place since that time.

Here's the link:

http://www.michigandnr.com/publications/pdfs/huntingwildlifehabitat/Issue_Reviews/99baiting.pdf

A couple of highlights from the report:

Page 6:

Baiting has increased steadily among Michigan hunters. In 1984, only 29 percent of deer hunters reported
using bait (Langenau et al. 1985); 41 percent reported using bait to hunt deer in 1991 (Winterstein 1992).
In 1993, 56 percent of respondents reported using bait to hunt deer (Minnis and Peyton 1994). Archery
hunters use bait at a higher rate than firearm hunters; 71 percent reported using bait during at least part of the​
season compared to 53 percent of firearm hunters (Minnis and Peyton 1994).

Page 5:

While a majority of respondents who used bait felt the use of bait increased their chance of harvesting a deer,
most studies show baiting to be only slightly more effective in harvesting deer. A 1999 phone survey
conducted by the DNR reported that in Deer Management Unit (DMU) 452, 44 percent were successful
using bait, while 52 percent were successful without bait. Winterstein (1992) reported that hunters using bait
were 20 percent more effective in harvesting deer (3.8 deer harvested per 100 days of hunting) than those
who did not use bait (3.1 deer per 100 days of hunting). In the 1984 survey (Langenau et al. 1985), hunters
who used bait were no more effective in harvesting deer (2.4 deer per 100 hunter days) than those who did
not use bait (2.2 deer per 100 hunter days). A 1993 Wisconsin survey found that hunting with bait does not
increase a hunter’s success rate compared to those that did not use bait. In the survey, exactly one-half of
the hunters who used bait during their 1992 gun hunts bagged a deer while 54 percent of the hunters who did
not use bait bagged a deer (Wisconsin Bureau of Wildlife Management 1993). These findings are not
consistent over all geographic areas, however. A Texas study reported higher success rates, reduced kill
distances, more deer observed, and less time required to harvest a deer when hunting over bait (Synatzske
1981). These results should be interpreted with caution because they are not consistent with results of
surveys conducted in the north, and they may not be applicable in Michigan.
Because of higher harvest rates over baited sites in Texas, Synatzske (1981) suggested that baiting was an

effective tool for increasing the harvest of deer in areas where higher deer harvest is needed
How is that a bad thing? Although, I don't know that I have ever seen someone fill out a hunting survey honestly and generally they are filling them out to suit their needs.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
How is that a bad thing? Although, I don't know that I have ever seen someone fill out a hunting survey honestly and generally they are filling them out to suit their needs.
Your assumptions and generalizations ......I believe ........are wrong again.......:sad:

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Your assumptions and generalizations ......I believe ........are wrong again.......:sad:
go sit at the shiawassee state game area and poll the hunters turning in their tags. Find out how many of them honestly declare the ducks they shot from a given blind or deer they've shot. Try selling waterfowl licenses in Michigan and listen to answers that people give when asked the survey questions. I said generally and I am basing it on what I personally see and hear!! Look up the stats on the effectiveness of polls and surveys.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
go sit at the shiawassee state game area and poll the hunters turning in their tags. Find out how many of them honestly declare the ducks they shot from a given blind or deer they've shot. Try selling waterfowl licenses in Michigan and listen to answers that people give when asked the survey questions. I said generally and I am basing it on what I personally see and hear!! Look up the stats on the effectiveness of polls and surveys.
Your statements could become facts....... if you took your own advice.....;)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
go sit at the shiawassee state game area and poll the hunters turning in their tags. Find out how many of them honestly declare the ducks they shot from a given blind or deer they've shot. Try selling waterfowl licenses in Michigan and listen to answers that people give when asked the survey questions. I said generally and I am basing it on what I personally see and hear!! Look up the stats on the effectiveness of polls and surveys.[/quote]

:lol:......lets see em dude.......sorry to confuse you....

·
Registered
20,132 Posts
I personally know more than a handful of folks that do this,,,:lol:.

And what's the deal Dan,,,, you've become somewhat of a punching bag on the forums here lately?? :lol: I'm starting to feel bad for ya...:lol:

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
go sit at the shiawassee state game area and poll the hunters turning in their tags. Find out how many of them honestly declare the ducks they shot from a given blind or deer they've shot. Try selling waterfowl licenses in Michigan and listen to answers that people give when asked the survey questions. I said generally and I am basing it on what I personally see and hear!! Look up the stats on the effectiveness of polls and surveys.[/quote]

:lol:......lets see em dude.......sorry to confuse you....

What i have learned in my limited experience is that surveys can be helpful! The downside is when people aren't truthful about their answers to specific questions. Couple that with people's personal agendas especially regarding hunting and fishing and you have what we've got. Again, surveys can be helpful but they can't take the place of hard, concrete evidence which could be attained through mandatory check stations.

There are thousands of websites out there that teach people how to write effective surveys but it is impossible to get everyone to be honest or to get everyone to take the time to fill out questionaires.

So I guess my point was that surveys, though somewhat effective cannot be taken as gospel.

If baiting is inheretly frowned upon and a survey question asks, "did you hunt over bait?" What percentage of bait hunters will answer truthfully or even take the time to answer. On the otherhand, if baiting is an accepted practice would the answers vary? The DNR will tell you they've formulated an effective way to decifer the surveys and it is more cost effective to use surveys than to have the said mandatory check stations. That is all I am getting at.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I personally know more than a handful of folks that do this,,,:lol:.

And what's the deal Dan,,,, you've become somewhat of a punching bag on the forums here lately?? :lol: I'm starting to feel bad for ya...:lol:

I don't mind taking a few punches as long as my voice is heard. There are a ton of people that think along the same lines as I do that chose not to take the tongue lashings from the enlightened few on these forums!!:lol:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Lets get back on topic here. The issue is still baiting and CWD. As a young hunter I hunted a small piece of land that I baited with corn. I would say it not only attracted more deer, but it absolutly cut down on my need to sit in the woods all day. The deer would come early and often. I soon grew to realize all I ever saw over bait piles were does and fawns. I can honestly say that at 17 years old I figured out it was not real sporty to shoot a deer over bait. And I am glad I never did kill one over bait. Deer on bait piles act like barn cats at their bowl. The issue at hand is the spread of CWD and alike. Clearly, given a chance, the majority of does and fawns will eat and gather at bait piles and that will add to the possible spread of disease. Not rocket science as far as I am concerned. Those that advocate for baiting need to go take a hunting class and get off their duffs!!

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Lets get back on topic here. The issue is still baiting and CWD.

Absolutely!

If you can't make a post without getting personal and angry then never hit the Submit button. If you do hit the Submit button despite these words of caution then the mods will be hitting their Submit button in order to effect a change and bring civility back into the posts.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Lets get back on topic here. The issue is still baiting and CWD. As a young hunter I hunted a small piece of land that I baited with corn. I would say it not only attracted more deer, but it absolutly cut down on my need to sit in the woods all day. The deer would come early and often. I soon grew to realize all I ever saw over bait piles were does and fawns. I can honestly say that at 17 years old I figured out it was not real sporty to shoot a deer over bait. And I am glad I never did kill one over bait. Deer on bait piles act like barn cats at their bowl. The issue at hand is the spread of CWD and alike. Clearly, given a chance, the majority of does and fawns will eat and gather at bait piles and that will add to the possible spread of disease. Not rocket science as far as I am concerned. Those that advocate for baiting need to go take a hunting class and get off their duffs!!
Very well said young man!!!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well said!!! I shot a couple of deer over bait as a youngster and looking back at it, it was not very sporty. I am not a bait hunter anymore. Actually I get more joy out of the sport of hunting by patterning and learning all I can about the deer and coming up with a plan to hunt them in a "natural" manner. The point is, diseases will spread without baiting, but lets not increase the chances by drawing the deer nose to nose! Get out there and do some scouting, you will take on a whole new appreciation for the deer you hunt!;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
United we stand! Divided we fall! The powers that be have declared no baiting, we can all work toward this and possibly get it changed back in the future. Or we can fight and bicker ourselves right out of pleasure of the sport. We can work together and become part of the solution or tear each other apart and remain part of the problem. Lets think about the future of the sport and what we want to leave to our children and there children. Lets deal with the issue at hand instead of (what about me) the issue is CWD. Not what about ME and my way! You Mods are sure gonna have your hands full with this one. Good luck, God bless.
Kev

1 - 15 of 15 Posts