Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could be a good opportunity for those with a passion for our states natural resources. Kind of head scratching that it doesn’t require a degree or any sort of previous military/LEO background/training though, but I suppose that also widens the candidate pool considerably, but has me questioning a COs potential earning potential without any of the above.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2021/01/...ng-academy-for-first-time.html?outputType=amp

Sent from d_mobile

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Could be a good opportunity for those with a passion for our states natural resources. Kind of head scratching that it doesn’t require a degree or any sort of previous military/LEO background/training though, but I suppose that also widens the candidate pool considerably, but has me questioning a COs potential earning potential without any of the above.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2021/01/...ng-academy-for-first-time.html?outputType=amp

Sent from d_mobile
I'll second the idea of making the hiring the pool as large as possible!! The back ground check would certainly eliminate more than a few!! In 85' when I applied for law enforcement a high school or ged was all that was required. They wanted me to do three years of civilian dispatcher, then go to the academy in 88'. I would have had to pay out of pocket, but would have joined the force will three years of service. Now , most communities want four years as dispatcher, then pay for the cost to go to the academy. The post I read sounded like once you completed your training, you would be a full time CO. As far as promotions, it may well hinder your chances!!

Reactions: bombcast

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
It is a good opportunity for a certified LEO who is about to retire or just retired and still certified to become a CO with only having to do 6 weeks in the academy for the CO side of the job Prior to this even if you were a certified LEO you had to go thru their 24 week academy.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Or being capable to read then intrepid.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Apparently the median is 47k but the range is pretty large suggesting you need a couple years of service in order to hit this.

Assuming promotions are similar to the gov or mil they are probably based either on time in service or at least performance on the actual job.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I hope the accelerated course comes with a Orphan Annie decoder ring so the trainees can decipher the hunting regs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Part of the training is they actually need to run the decoder ring while being tear gassed and then write out a ticket.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently the median is 47k but the range is pretty large suggesting you need a couple years of service in order to hit this.

Assuming promotions are similar to the gov or mil they are probably based either on time in service or at least performance on the actual job.
Not a bad chunk of change for someone who retires early and has time on their hands.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Not a bad chunk of change for someone who retires early and has time on their hands.
I guess I didn't percieve conservation officer as a retire job but I'm sure it happens.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I didn't percieve conservation officer as a retire job but I'm sure it happens.
Hah, mostly talking to myself with that comment. I'm currently on target to retire 50-55, if i play my cards right. I'm sure i'll be able to find something to keep me busy but I thought being a CO might be something i'd enjoy doing for a bit so I don't get bored.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Hah, mostly talking to myself with that comment. I'm currently on target to retire 50-55, if i play my cards right. I'm sure i'll be able to find something to keep me busy but I thought being a CO might be something i'd enjoy doing for a bit so I don't get bored.
I've heard parking enforcement is hiring too:lol:...since you're looking to be a popular guy and all.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The answer yes but what it ends up looking like might not be what you thought.

Attachments

Reactions: Sasquatch Lives

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
They like to get them young so they can be properly brainwashed that they are the Best of the Best

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Reactions: d_rek

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I wanted to become a CO 40 years ago until I found out what they made, but Im sure they get OT.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts