Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The perch & walleye guys need to take note of what they found in the muskies stomachs.

"What she's found are white suckers, catfish, bass and sunfish. She didn't find any perch or walleyes - so far - which is what the average angler believes the muskies are eating."

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The article stated the catch results were done during the spawning period, so not to many perch or walleye would be in that area at that time. Now do a stomach sampling after the spawn when they put the feed bag on and I'd bet the results would be different.

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
Wow. Nice way to protect a fishery. Jam a pipe down a muskies throat and pump water into them. Wonder how many of those spawners they killed. If I were a musky guy I would be furious.

·
Super Moderator
37,285 Posts
The article stated the catch results were done during the spawning period, so not to many perch or walleye would be in that area at that time. Now do a stomach sampling after the spawn when they put the feed bag on and I'd bet the results would be different.
Oh really? No walleye in the D in spring to early summer?

·
Super Moderator
37,285 Posts
Wow. Nice way to protect a fishery. Jam a pipe down a muskies throat and pump water into them. Wonder how many of those spawners they killed. If I were a musky guy I would be furious.
Yea I assume they are more careful with them than the average angler, but it does sound bad. cooler water that time of year helps tremendously too.

I'd be curious about survival rate of natural spawn vs what they plant.

·
Super Moderator
37,285 Posts
Fish are more concerned about breeding than eating at that time. They put the feed bag on after the spawn. That's why most of the stomachs were empty.
Agreed.

But the ones that did eat, had no walleye or perch. And at that time of year there are a lot of walleye present.

Nobody said musky do not eat walleye, period. Basically, walleye are broccoli compared to a nice steak lol. Yes they eat them. But they are not the preferred forage.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have had a couple Walleye attacked by Musky, one ripped up really good !.....had one swallow a 15" Sheapshead whole !....and I have seen them chasing Perch right out of the water !.....and hooked one on a live Sucker......

Everything I have ever read said that they prefer and target soft rayed fish....if available....and I do know for a fact that nice Suckers are in the D for most of the year if not the entire year.....they rarely get caught but are quite numerous......I see them casting shallow and have seen them deeper on camera, whole schools.....just saying.....

I believe the predation on Walleye by Musky is pretty small and probably well in the "balance of nature".....like said they will prey on most anything.....why else would they hit a hunk of rubber or hard plastic ?...lol.....

And I also truly believe the bio's at DNR love fish & the fishery as well..... and know more than the Monday morning quarterback or the average joe ever will.....lol.....

I hope the student ?....I think it was, follows up and we hear more about Musky diet on the D !!!....

Also.....I have cleaned 1000's of Walleye all year long from the D....and @ 95% of the time they never have anything in their bellies that at least you can casually notice....unlike Perch.....I always thought that was really odd !!!.....peace to all.....cheers.....

Reactions: downriverbob
1 - 13 of 13 Posts