Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THANKS TO ALL FOR THE ONLINE LEASONS!!! TODAY MY SON & I FINALLY BROKE OUR LOSING STREAK! WENT OUT TO DNR LAUNCH AROUND 12:00. NO SOONER GOT THE MINNOW ON THE HOOK & "IT WAS ON"!!! WE STARTED OFF WITH 6 13" IN A ROW! THEY KEPT HITTING & HITTING & HITTING! WHAT A GREAT DAY ON THE ICE!
ONE THING I DO NEED TO ASK, HOW DO I KEEP THE "HOGS" FROM SPITTING MY BAITE OUT? I KID YOU NOT. WE LOST MORE THAN WE CAUGHT. CAME HOME WITH 20!
EXTRA THANX TO UNCLE-D, HE GAVE US SOME MINNOWS AROUND 4:00 & WE GOT TO FISH 2 MORE HOURS. I'LL SEE YA'LL SUNDAY.
THANX AGAIN "UNCLE-D"

· Premium Member
9,795 Posts
Watching some of these fish on the Atlantis I found that many times they just take the minnow and not the hook. This will move your bobber but you lose the fish when setting the hook. Or the fish will hold onto the minnow but never get hooked. They get smart enough to finally spit the minnow a couple feet from the hole. If you get a camera this can be corrected.

Fishing last week with Shoeman he didn't know he had a fish once until I told him to set the hook. Cold weather usually means light bites until you get a school to create some competition.

Good Luck.

· Registered
3,506 Posts
Use little trebles. If the big fish are being very aggressive I would use a bit heavier line than normal maybe 4lb or so and hog them out of the hole, don't give em time to spit it. I often use small rapalas (with upgraded trebles) when they get aggresive they have one heck of time spitting those things.

· Registered
125 Posts
:D Sharp hooks catch fish. Test Your hooks, if you can slide your hook acrost your fingernail without it leaveing a scratch, the hook is NOT sharp. I have proven this to myself and my fishing friends many times. I use a cordless Dremel with a very fine wheel and touch up the point EVERY time i use it. One time I was fishing a canal on St. Clair. there was a school of big crappys down there, I got bite after bite, but only ended up catching about 3 fish. I was really frustrated, when I got home i sharpend my hooks. the next day I went back and lo-and-behold they were back in the same area. This time I went home with 18 of the biggest Crappys that I had ever seen let alone cought.;) Try it, You will be pleased. Good Luck!:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.