Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past if you needed to replace a license it cost 3.00.
NOT NOW...$25 That is seriously f-ed up!! ($1 less than the actual cost)

They ask you to provide a driver's License to purchase a paper license...then if you lose it...you pay full price? Why even print the paper? If I take out my driver's Licenses it tells them if I am valid or not? I swear government policy is ***** back-wards. I work in government but I try to provide good customer service...some agencies go out of their way to do the opposite!

Now they say if you buy it on line...you can send it to a smart phone. However it can't be done if bought at a retail store? Good luck when you phone freezes on the lake when ice-fishing like my Iphone! Why not just utilize the damn Driver's License that I had to purchase it with? Save trees, less plastic, makes sense?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I buy I nline, then save the form. If I lose it, just print a new one. But yeah... $25 is too pricey for a replacement.

·
Super Moderator
35,031 Posts
When you buy online they send you a copy in your email... sounds like they want to force you into buying online (likely much cheaper for them)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I buy I nline, then save the form. If I lose it, just print a new one. But yeah... $25 is too pricey for a replacement.

I will be doing that!!

Luckily my son found mine but it is still a waste of paper!!! USE THE DRIVER"S LICENSE!!!!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you buy online they send you a copy in your email... sounds like they want to force you into buying online (likely much cheaper for them)
i agree....why couldn't that retail shop send it to your email? Just more BS!!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone ever not had license on them when asked? How did the co act did he check through your d license or get a ticket etc.
I would assume they would be cool if you were not breaking any laws...but the guy I had on the phone was an @#$. He said they can take your boat and all your gear....I said I'm sure they could but SERIOUSLY I have a license and my drivers license would validate that. He said...doesn't matter...I just hung up!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Nice some people get so arrogant when u r tryin to ask simple questions over phone i agree they should change it but they wont i bet they r making a good bit of $ off of people that lost there license

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone ever not had license on them when asked? How did the co act did he check through your d license or get a ticket etc.
My buddy's son tried to buy a license at Walmart, but the system wouldn't let him buy an annual license, just a daily. We were checked that day & the officer looked him up. Turns out he already had a valid license, don't know why they couldn't do that at Walmart. That officer said he had no problem just looking you up by your license. Same thing at Higgins lake last year.

I buy online & print 4 copies, 1 for each tackle box, glove box, & wallet.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Sucks, I agree. I thought $3 was bad till this year :lol:

I've been checked a couple times without a license. Your attitude will determine 99% of how it goes. 1% depends on how the CO feels.

·
Registered
14,572 Posts
I would assume they would be cool if you were not breaking any laws...but the guy I had on the phone was an @#$. He said they can take your boat and all your gear....I said I'm sure they could but SERIOUSLY I have a license and my drivers license would validate that. He said...doesn't matter...I just hung up!
Sounds like you got someone on a power trip. Some of them are just book worms all about the bereaucracy, they don't know any other way.

Years ago, walking into a secretary of state was literally like stepping into a witches den. Bunch of natsy ole' hags with chips on their shoulders. Very unpleasant. I still get that sinking feeling walking in the door. However, I gotta hand it to them as of late, smiles and a streamlined system.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
BS alright. Buddy lost his last year. $1 less than a new one to replace. Got smart. Took a pix of it this year on my phone. I have it on me and it's no different than getting it on line. Same friend left his billfold at home. Had his daughter text me a pix of his drivers and fishing license. At the time, we didn't know if it would pass. Wasn't driving 4 hours back home and wasn't going to miss a weekend on the river.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have a lifetime license which is just a plastic card with name and drivers license number on it. Asked CO at Outdoor Rama if I needed to carry the card. His answer was the law says you do but if he has cell access, he can look it up online to verify but still could write a ticket even if he knows you are legal as you have to have it on your person while fishing.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
When I went to buy my license this year, I attempted to do it online, but you couldn't purchase a Resident full year license online as I have always been able to. I know it was a new system so maybe you can buy them online now, but you couldn't right at the time of year the new ones were required...

So I had to go buy one at a bait shop and got one copy of the license, which I lost and when I went to go replace it, I too had to pay $25.00...

What angered me the most was the $1 discount, they knew I had already bought it, but still raked me over the coals...

·
Premium Member
29,582 Posts
Happened to me last weekend on the bay. 3 miles off sunset a guy pulls up on sled. Thought to myself, what's this guy want? He announced himself as he walked up "conservation officer". As soon as he said it, it hit me that it was in my other coat in my van:banghead3 When he asked for license, I told him that I would run in and get it, and he just said he'd run my drivers license by radio. No harm no foul. Was good guy and real friendly. Said he was on the sight, but he wasn't deadshort. Good to see them out there checking. I usually buy online and print about 10 copies to leave in various clothing, car and boat. But didn't this year.

·
Registered
677 Posts
As a matter of fact it happened to me tonight on the Saginaw river. Left my wallet in my truck with my license in it. Luckily my truck wasn't far away and he followed me to my truck. I presented the license put still received a citation for not having it on me. Learned the hard way tonight you always have it with ya.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It would probably be pretty time consuming for co's to have to call in every driver license to verify they have a fishing license rather than handing them a little piece of paper to read.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts