Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this is common knowledge, but I noticed a new link on the DNR site to all kinds of historical information back to the 1930's. Per the deer season report for 1943. two of the biggest challenges were a lack of ammunition and gas rationing. Not something we have to deal with today. Anyway, happy reading. Here's the link:

http://cdm15867.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p15559coll1

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
If I read them will I find out we are not a a 1000 year low for deer?
Yes Rounder......we set an all time record low in the UP since modern times for ALL of us hunting there now....AND we are going to do it again next year...........

·
Registered
37,425 Posts
Yes Rounder......we set an all time record low in the UP since modern times for ALL of us hunting there now....AND we are going to do it again next year...........
Coming from a relatively new UP resident like yourself it could be considered a new record low but it is still 2-3 times higher than when you were old enough to begin hunting on your own. The early '70s were bad if we had last years kill numbers we back then we would have thought we were in paradise.

Reactions: Rounder

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
Coming from a relatively new UP resident like yourself it could be considered a new record low but it is still 2-3 times higher than when you were old enough to begin hunting on your own. The early '70s were bad if we had last years kill numbers we back then we would have thought we were in paradise.
Step away from the pom-poms luv2.......The count at the mighty mac was 1500, and the UP is on it's back......not many here were around in the 70's,,,,,,,,so it IS modern times.........there is lots of numbers rubbish from the authority ....Do not fret.....you will get a lower number to compare next year.....

PS...I been here since 1994......its not new so stuff that kind of language. I would hope any hunter regardless of time spent has the same voice

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
And another thread is trashed. You can't even start a thread to provide a link to some information without some tools ruining it. Ridiculous.

Mods, please close this. Thanks.
If you happen to be mistakenly talking to me brookie, your point is actually the point . The information is provided in the historical link.....READ IT....then come back compare it to the current data...THEN tell me how wrong I am..........downstater.........

Also brookie take your dmu like I just did and do a google search for a given year. There will loads of archived info like this from 2000........Google is your friend to the facts and tuth

http://www.midnr.com/Publications/pdfs/HuntingWildlifeHabitat/Reports/deer_00harvest.pdf

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
And another thread is trashed. You can't even start a thread to provide a link to some information without some tools ruining it. Ridiculous.

Mods, please close this. Thanks.
If you don't like a thread don't read it, and don't run to the teacher.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
Step away from the pom-poms luv2.......The count at the mighty mac was 1500, and the UP is on it's back......not many here were around in the 70's,,,,,,,,so it IS modern times.........there is lots of numbers rubbish from the authority ....Do not fret.....you will get a lower number to compare next year.....

PS...I been here since 1994......its not new so stuff that kind of language. I would hope any hunter regardless of time spent has the same voice
People in theirs 60s were hunting here in 70s. 50s in the 80s.

My dad left snow belt and went banana belt. Around 70s early 80s. Probably after winter of 78, which set records. 96 was close, so 2014.

Some of it had been over hunting too. I heard a guy saw he quit after he shot a bunch one year, to easy.

Guy I used to hunt with said they would be glad to see a track.

I've hunted near Arnold 10-15 years ago, not snow country and deer were not jumping out the woods.

Looking at data over the last 20 years means nothing. It is our own arrogance that makes us think our life is significant

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
People in theirs 60s were hunting here in 70s. 50s in the 80s.

My dad left snow belt and went banana belt. Around 70s early 80s. Probably after winter of 78, which set records. 96 was close, so 2014.

Some of it had been over hunting too. I heard a guy saw he quit after he shot a bunch one year, to easy.

Guy I used to hunt with said they would be glad to see a track.

I've hunted near Arnold 10-15 years ago, not snow country and deer were not jumping out the woods.

Looking at data over the last 20 years means nothing. It is our own arrogance that makes us think our life is significant
For those who don't understand that the UP has been on the fringe of whitetail deer range for the past few 1000 years, it was only until and because of the timbering in the 1800's that the UP had a relatively short blip of a boom of large deer numbers to support high pressure hunting/poaching.

I've seen pre-settlement deer estimates for the UP that were 4 to 10 deer per mile and I've seen one that estimated it could have been as high as 15 deer per square mile in the UP, in some pre-settlement years. But taking that 4 to 10 deer per mile, if one averages that, we're talking about a historical average of about 7 deer per square mile. That makes for pretty tough hunting, by todays standards.

Prior to settlement, Michigan had an abundant deer herd in the south. The mixture of hardwoods, wetlands, bogs and forest openings was perfect for deer. There were few deer in the virgin forests of the north, which were inhabited mostly by elk and moose. The mature trees were so dense that sunlight could not reach the forest floor. Little deer food was available in these virgin forests. As farmers and settlers moved into southern Michigan, deer were exterminated by removal of cover and by unregulated shooting. Deer were mostly gone by 1870. Logging of forests in the north produced an opposite effect--more openings, brush, and young forests. As the northern herd climbed to estimated 1 million deer in the 1880s, the abundance fostered a public attitude that this resource was inexhaustible.

This graph is nationally. In the UP, the numbers were far lower, pre-settlement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts