Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

DNR Hiring COs

3319 48
Saw a sign from the DNR today, looking to hire Conservation Officers. In a sweet spot for such an appeal - right @ the tollbooths for the Mackinac Bridge.

I’m sure the details are just a quick Google away. I hope they don’t have too much trouble filling out their recruiting classes.
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Nope. Military experience trump's the college for state LE positions. Correct tho, a degree is needed otherwise. Years ago for me, the interview and test came first. Then the PT portion. Today I think they reversed it so they don't have to spend a bunch of money on a candidate that won't pass the PT after all the other interviewing and testing. Had a female back in the early 80s when I hired in that only had 3 fingers on one hand. Great gal, great police. She passed everything very well but when it came time for the pull ups, they took her in a separate location with an instructor. She came out with a Passing score. No way she made the pull up requirement but she was a hell of an officer. Things have changed alot. Not for the worse but as times change, so do the policies.
You first Need to Pass The PT Test all LE Have To Prior to Meeting the other requirements and a Physical is also required but you also meet the education requirement it was an Associate Degree and if putting yourself through the Academy it was 12 weeks for the Police Academy not sure what it is Now. And Tattoos many LE now have them. As well as Beards! Things have Changed...
Newaygo1
I've wanted to be a CO since I was a kid, then came college and a boring sales rep job. Now I'm 28 and still wonder all the time if I could still do it :LOL:
Always looking for a few good men (or women)
I've wanted to be a CO since I was a kid, then came college and a boring sales rep job. Now I'm 28 and still wonder all the time if I could still do it :LOL:
Why not, your still young enough and ain’t getting any younger!!!
Unfortunately the current job has came with plenty of beer and steak, add 1100+ miles a week driving around the state and it equated to some extra LB's :LOL:. Not sure if I could pass a few of the physical bits these days lol.
Always looking for a few good men (or women)
Federal wildlife officers have a 37 year age cap on hires. The state has none. Just need to pass the MSP physical fitness boot camp.
Well that's honesty for sure.
Unfortunately the current job has came with plenty of beer and steak, add 1100+ miles a week driving around the state and it equated to some extra LB's :LOL:. Not sure if I could pass a few of the physical bits these days lol.
I'm 5-6 yrs away from retirement but when I got home from the army I was tricked into believing I needed w biology degree for being a CO.
Working construction and college for about 4 years and then life really changed...super good looking curly hair brown eyed girl. She was going to be a teacher. Well one winter of no snow plowing and a substitute gig job hooked me. I've been with the special kids for a while now. Wouldn't change a thing from the last 22 years.
I got 3 great children and the curly hair girl is as pretty as ever.

I think I would have been a good co. But the retirement days are too close.
So you retired ? Congratulations. Enjoy now
Tattoo policy is under review but still in full effect. Nothing visible in short sleeves. Anything visible has to be covered.

I’d recommend it, but I don’t miss it yet. 🙂
After academy you get placed for the job, you don't choose where you work. Alot of UP openings. If you have a home and family time to relocate.
Reactions: RHRoss and LGB
Lololol. That might be a little outside of dress code! At the time, I was more concerned with my gauged ears because I figured I'd just have to wear sleeves over my forearms.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
LOL, hey bro, can't resist the poke.

I'd have thought your fangs woulda disqualified you before the tats or piercings.

I could see me now in the woods squirrel hunting. A CO with fangs comes up, smiles and asks for my license. I'd probably think he was a werewolf and shoot him.....[emoji848]
Reactions: 6Speed
Well luckily they do sell those Hillbilly(BillyBob, sorry, no offense to any real Hillbilly's) teeth. Slap a set of those in and that'll seal the deal for employment with any dept.
Lololol. That might be a little outside of dress code! At the time, I was more concerned with my gauged ears because I figured I'd just have to wear sleeves over my forearms.

Attachments

I tried that once. I'm never allowed to apply again because I'm too heavily tattooed. Picky Picky Picky (true-ish story)

If the powers-that-be had a lick of sense you might just be the perfect candidate. Seriously. You could work undercover in today's world, and nobody would ever suspect you were a CO. Heck; other states might even want to borrow you for clandestine operations in their jurisdictions. It does happen. FM
I had arrived at the same conclusion. I'm level-headed, I love everything about the outdoors, I don't seek out conflict, I have zero racist tendencies, and I don't look like a cop. Heck, in my job now, I get to deal with angry, screaming people in my face all the time and I always remain calm and collected.

They tend to view it more in a military fashion - they don't want a citizen thinking of you as unique, individual human, but rather they want you to see every cop as simply cop.

If the powers-that-be had a lick of sense you might just be the perfect candidate. Seriously. You could work undercover in today's world, and nobody would ever suspect you were a CO. Heck; other states might even want to borrow you for clandestine operations in their jurisdictions. It does happen. FM
Reactions: Wasman2. and 6Speed
They need to hire more biologists (both fish and wildlife) not just law enforcement. People retire and the position goes with them. Often times they just split up the coverage area and give more work to other existing staff. Fish and wildlife populations get neglected.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
Reactions: Macs13
Yeah… January 2022. Still working just not for the DNR. 🙂
So you retired ? Congratulations. Enjoy now
Recruits now are hired and offered a county at hiring. Different way than in the past.
After academy you get placed for the job, you don't choose where you work. Alot of UP openings. If you have a home and family time to relocate.
Reactions: LGB
Good for you. Congratulations on the retirement
Yeah… January 2022. Still working just not for the DNR. 🙂
Definitely a huge plus
Recruits now are hired and offered a county at hiring. Different way than in the past.
Reactions: sureshot006
Thank you!! It was a fun ride. 🙂
Good for you. Congratulations on the retirement
21 - 40 of 49 Posts