Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

DNR Hiring COs

3319 48
Saw a sign from the DNR today, looking to hire Conservation Officers. In a sweet spot for such an appeal - right @ the tollbooths for the Mackinac Bridge.

I’m sure the details are just a quick Google away. I hope they don’t have too much trouble filling out their recruiting classes.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
I tried that once. I'm never allowed to apply again because I'm too heavily tattooed. Picky Picky Picky (true-ish story)

Sent from my SM-S908U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
That's not a condition of employment in LE like it once was. In fact, if you don't have tats today as a new hire, your the odd ball...Your In.
I tried that once. I'm never allowed to apply again because I'm too heavily tattooed. Picky Picky Picky (true-ish story)

Maybe get head to toe realtree camo pattern. You'd be all set for bait pile stakeouts

Full camo sleeves. Nice
Maybe get head to toe realtree camo pattern. You'd be all set for bait pile stakeouts
That would be awesome
They don’t care about that anymore Now the piercings might be a no no still

Ya haven't seen any of those yet. Give it a few years tho.
They don’t care about that anymore Now the piercings might be a no no still
Reactions: sparky18181
Yeah times are a changing for sure
Ya haven't seen any of those yet. Give it a few years tho.
Reactions: HuntinMichigan
I applied for just one position available in California back in 1990, I was next on the list pending the first choice background ect. Nope. I tore my shoulder up later that year and those hopes died with it. I ran into the guy they hired about ten years later, talked with him close to an hour. It worked out well for him.
But, the head to toe tattoo requires you to work naked.
"Maybe get head to toe realtree camo pattern. You'd be all set for bait pile stakeouts"

I don't knw about that, I think Jungle Tiger Camo would look neat!
Tattoo policy is under review but still in full effect. Nothing visible in short sleeves. Anything visible has to be covered.

I’d recommend it, but I don’t miss it yet. 🙂
I am physically unable.

With all the knee and ankle damage I have had, it's left me unable to goosestep....

:p
As a recruit, conservation officers earn $18.95-$24.87 per hour (based on prior experience). After five years of service, conservation officers may earn up to $35.05 per hour. All conservation officers are offered overtime opportunities and pay after they complete their probationary period.

Interested in becoming a conservation officer? We encourage anyone interested to take the entry-level law enforcement exam. You must take and pass this exam before applying.
It wasn't that many years ago. I was actually applying to become a State Trooper because, at the time, I was told that was the fastest way to become a CO. I had a qualifying education level, a pristine legal background, I passed the written, physical, background/reference , and intimidating 2 on 1 interview. I felt great about my prospects, especially after seeing how many of the guys failed out on the physical portion, when I got a letter in the mail explaining that I was a 3 - 1 was accepted, 2 was not accepted but feel free to try next time, and 3 was never allowed to apply again. When I called, I was told that my answer to the question of whether I have tattoos disqualified me - of course I could get tattoos once hired in, but they use the same type of algorithmic formulas as big companies and the algorithms say that a heavily tattooed dude is less likely to be reliable over time than a dude without tattoos and therefore I was scrubbed from the candidate pool.

True story.

That's not a condition of employment in LE like it once was. In fact, if you don't have tats today as a new hire, your the odd ball...Your In.
Interesting, I became a CO to get my foot in the door for the State Police.
It wasn't that many years ago. I was actually applying to become a State Trooper because, at the time, I was told that was the fastest way to become a CO. I had a qualifying education level, a pristine legal background, I passed the written, physical, background/reference , and intimidating 2 on 1 interview. I felt great about my prospects, especially after seeing how many of the guys failed out on the physical portion, when I got a letter in the mail explaining that I was a 3 - 1 was accepted, 2 was not accepted but feel free to try next time, and 3 was never allowed to apply again. When I called, I was told that my answer to the question of whether I have tattoos disqualified me - of course I could get tattoos once hired in, but they use the same type of algorithmic formulas as big companies and the algorithms say that a heavily tattooed dude is less likely to be reliable over time than a dude without tattoos and therefore I was scrubbed from the candidate pool.

True story.

You first Need to Pass The PT Test all LE Have To Prior to Meeting the other requirements and a Physical is also required but you also meet the education requirement it was an Associate Degree and if putting yourself through the Academy it was 12 weeks for the Police Academy not sure what it is Now. And Tattoos many LE now have them. As well as Beards! Things have Changed...
Newaygo1
LOL, hey bro, can't resist the poke.

I'd have thought your fangs woulda disqualified you before the tats or piercings.

I could see me now in the woods squirrel hunting. A CO with fangs comes up, smiles and asks for my license. I'd probably think he was a werewolf and shoot him.....[emoji848]

True story.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts