Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MIDNR/bulletins/10fd638

Yearling buck this time.

On edit - Not a yearling, I confirmed with Steve Schmitt, this buck was born in 2013, so it would have been a yearling during last years hunting season, so dispersal (if it occurred) would have happened in 2014.

Certainly disheartening to see a 2nd positive but it was completely expected. Will be very interesting to see if this buck is related to the index doe. I suspect there are more positives in the testing pipeline, the number will probably increase over the next month or so.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Not good!:(

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
The release says 2 years. This eliminates some hypotheticals and create some more. It will be interesting to see if it is related to the doe.

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
If there is anything positive about it, at least it hasn't dispersed to a much wider area. (Yet). Still in the same area.
Unfortunately, the testing efforts have been centered around the core area. We are still fairly clueless about the management area and/or adjacent regions. But yes, as of now the circle only became one mile in diameter larger....
<----<<<

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
At least it's less than a mile away from the initial case. I still think we have a chance to contain this. Just have to keep pounding away at that core area.

·
Registered
26,844 Posts
The release says 2 years. This eliminates some hypotheticals and create some more. It will be interesting to see if it is related to the doe.
I don't know what it proved or disproved.

The only thing, IMO, that it proved is that there's another deer infected. The amount tested is still way too low, again, IMO.

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
Steve, we knew it was established. We knew there would be more. In the same line of reasoning, we can predict that it is at least outside the core and in the management zone. Look at Wisconsin's prevalence map and ask - "How do I keep Michigan from looking like this". That is where we are at now, and have been the same since the first discovered case was clinical...
<----<<<

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I don't know what it proved or disproved.

The only thing, IMO, that it proved is that there's another deer infected. The amount tested is still way too low, again, IMO.
I was talking about the hypotheticals in some of the many other CWD threads. What does it prove...a 2nd positive deer was found less than a mile away.

·
Administrator
36,427 Posts
Steve, we knew it was established. We knew there would be more. In the same line of reasoning, we can predict that it is at least outside the core and in the management zone. Look at Wisconsin's prevalence map and ask - "How do I keep Michigan from looking like this". That is where we are at now, and have been the same since the first discovered case was clinical...
<----<<<
I asked myself that and the answer I keep arriving at is a goal of total eradication of the herd in the core area.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts