Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know how if you look on google maps, north of Novi, there's a bunch of lakes from commerce twp all the way to pontiac in places like west bloomfield, waterford, etc? Which ones are the best for fishing and access and where can you access them? Most all of them have DNR launch sites, but can you fish off of them? That have that wooden structure, a dock thing, maybe, and it says no swimming, no sunbathing, but can you fish off of it? I saw some people fishing at the orchard lake one the other day. I was at cass lake the other day and had no luck, not at dodge state park, but at this other park on the southwestern corner of the lake nearing orchard lake. Today, I found the public access site (DNR launch) on wolverine lake by the municipal building on Glengary Road, but is that any good? Also, I heard whitmore lake was good for crappie, but can you catch them from the DNR launch site which I discovered was on the north shore the other day? I see some of the sites are mentioned in the southeast michigan fishing guide (this booklet you can find at walmart, but I didn't buy but flipped through it at times to look at where the public access is) but a lot of these lakes also in washtenaw/livingston counties further west near ann arbor or west of ann arbor also have good fishing, but just like the west bloomfield lakes, aren't public save for a few spots. Which areas are best for fishing over there? my internet access is being truncated, so I'll continue this message later.

·
Banned
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WHich of the western, or I call them "western" since they are they are west of metro detroit/an urbanized area though some are close to ann arbor. which of these lakes in which rec areas are good? I tried pickerel lake and it was a tiny lake in the middle of nowhere in the woods by pinckney and was surprised by the good results, though the largemouth I caught there were small, but which of the "western" lakes are good? I heard portage was good, but where's the public access to that lake?

Pontiac Lake has a nice rec area, and I went to proud lake a while ago, but had no luck in the river part, but how is the lake part? That part is accessed by glengary road, right, not far from wolverine lake? I heard pontiac lake was good and had catfish and bass, but where do you fish? I saw the beach and a pier near the beach, is that it? is that the only public access to it, as it'd seem too close to the beach to catch anything decent. I was surprised by island lake, so that spurred me to try out more of the northern and western lakes. i'm using detroit as a reference point so by northern i mean oakland county, north of detroit, and western as in west of detroit (quite west, wheras northern is just slightly northern and the northern lakes tend to be in more built up areas).

I passed by elizabeth lake today and couldn't find the DNR access site, where is that? Also, where is the upper straights lake and middle and lower straights lake access points? What about for sylvan lake and lake angelus?
What about for Long Lake? (they even have a road named for this, i was surprised, and from all the lakes, i learned that's where all the road names came from, such as long lake, square lake road, orchard lake road, etc) I've always known the roads and thought nothing of them until I realized they were named after those oakland county lakes.
ANd what about access to oxbow lake? Has anybody tried any lake besides pickerel in pinckney and how was that, and what about lakes in the brighton rec area and waterloo rec area? Thanks.

·
Banned
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, minnows are good bait and even dead minnows work well for catfish in my observation, but detroit river catfish maybe don't like minnows as much since they're emerald shiners, but fatheads work well. i know holden's in milford sells minnows, and the gander mountain in novi used to sell minnows but now they don't anymore. There's a minnow dealers pdf online but it's not 100% accuruate. As in they said there was one near pontiac lake, but that closed down. Are there any places in oakland county or washtenaw county that sell minnows? Usually liquor/party stores, etc? I know there is sandy's marina in belleville that sell them as well as round haus on ford lake as well as this bass place in ypsilanti where they sell bait in a vending machine, but what about in washteanw county near the recreation areas outside of the more urbanized ann arbor/ypsi, or in oakland county besides holden's near kent lake? Speaking of kent lake, island lake has access to it as well and has the dam. below the dam, it seems really shallow, but how is the fishing on the lake over there? What about fishing near i94 from kensington (it's kensington not island lake near there, right? but it'd be a LONG walk, worth it)? Or is fishing from the piers on kensington better than the kent lake fishing in island lake? HOw's trout lake and how do you access it in island lake rec area and how is the highland state rec area? Thanks.

·
Banned
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bluegill work as bait (i caught a catfish on a bluegill, live) and also as bait for largemouth, but will walleye eat bluegills or are they too large for walleye, and will rock bass or yellow perch work as bait or are bluegills the best "natural bait" wheras minnows like shiners, etc are not "natural bait" that you can't catch in most michigan lakes with a rod/reel/line

i often catch small rock bass, will they work for bait or no? also, using gobies is illegal, but many people use them, and smallmouth love them, but will walleye attach gobies, what about catfish? I discovered ford lake had gobies now! they've invaded far beyond the detroit river/great lakes and are now in the huron river!

·
Banned
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how's the fall fishing along the detroit river? are the catfish gone? more of a july/august fish or when it's hot outside? are there crappie? what about a resurgence in the walleye action? or is it mostly yellow perch? i read on a sign at milliken park that it's mostly yellow perch in the fall. if so, where? downriver, or in the city?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Engineer - in the city of River Rouge, there is a park "Belanger Park" which has some good shore perch fishing. Try to get to spot furthest to the north and cast out a perch rig with some minnows. I've never had em go gangbusters or anything but I've left with 15 keepers a couple times. The park is kind of difficult to find, but look for it google earth.

·
Banned
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Engineer - in the city of River Rouge, there is a park "Belanger Park" which has some good shore perch fishing. Try to get to spot furthest to the north and cast out a perch rig with some minnows. I've never had em go gangbusters or anything but I've left with 15 keepers a couple times. The park is kind of difficult to find, but look for it google earth.
i know where bellanger is. what about delray in detroit (they close it soon)? the thing is, bellanger ain't free and it's expensive, the entry fee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts