Thanks for the reminder & the link.

·
Premium Member
30,855 Posts

·
Registered
19,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like the survey is still open for anyone not doing that yet.

Our spring hatch, 2012, was better than the past 2 years which were very poor. Not knowing what to blame for sure, we mostly blame coons. There sure are a lot of them around. Some, but not a lot of coyotes in our area.
Also it seems that turkeys are nesting in alfalfa fields more now than in past years. 100% of those nests are destroyed by the mower and sometimes the hen.
Guessing that we have about 60% of the turkeys that we had in our area 7-10 years ago.

L & O

·
Premium Member
30,855 Posts
I was up around Gaylord, Boyne, and Petoskey this last weekend and I saw a lot of hens with poults scratching along the road. Amazing how much more tolerant of traffic and people that northern birds are vs the birds in Eaton County.
I haven't seen many poults in Eaton, but I haven't been looking either. A farmer friend did tell me he ran a nested hen through his hay bind though.:(

T

·
Premium Member
7,047 Posts
I have 5 hens running around my place with not a poult among them. I too blame coons-and feral cats.

Had the Cub Scouts last weekend for a campout and nature walk. On the walk we found a predated nest. Explains the lack of poults.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts