Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Front page of the Morning Sun (Mt. Pleasant's newspaper)
there is a disturbing article titled
"Group hopes to get state deer antler requirements overturned"

I can't find a link to morning sun website, don't know if
one exists. but i'll throw a couple quotes on here so you can get the general idea.
"The Mid-Michigan Sportsman Alliance is holding its first meeting at 7:30 p.m. thursday at the Clare Moose Lodge on US-10 west of Clare..."

"A delegation - approximately 24 people to date - from the group plan to attend a Natural Resources Commission meeting April 1 in Lansing to voice objections to the state's Quality Deer Management antler restrictions in Deer Management Unit 118 in eastern Clare county."

a quote from a member of the group

"If you are concerned about the negative impact we have seen on our deer herd these last five years, we need your input"

"Harvesting the best and leaving the rest has not worked."

"We cannot continue mandatory harvesting of the best bucks in the gene pool and leaving the cull bucks and scrubs to do the breeding"

they are offering a petition to sign at the meeting thursday for landowners and hunters who agree with the above.

just thought some of you may be interested in this info.

seems quite disturbing to me that people can't look at the obvious data that proves that the quality and age of the deer herd is improving drastically in this area.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
The data speaks for itself. You can find no where in the data that the QDM proposal did not substantially improve the availability of bucks, the size of bucks, or any negative whatsoever.

No matter what you do, there will always be a group out there that will find the cloud in an otherwise blue sky. Just the way it is. It will be up to the NRC to base a decion on fact, and not the angry voice of a few.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
you're right. 24 out of how many? i'd be willing to bet those 24 live on the perimeter of the area.

one of the problems with QDM is that you can't control the ability of the hunter. maybe ability is not a good term, i don't know. older bucks don't get stupid. but you'll always have the guys that just want to go out and harvest something, without investing too much time and thought. and i'm not saying that there shouldn't be a place for those people - a big part of hunting is just spending time with family and friends. i just don't think we should make the regulations FOR those people. regulations should be for the health of the herd. and i think we can do that and still have fun hunting to. QDM is the answer.

·
Banned
3,359 Posts
but you'll always have the guys that just want to go out and harvest something, without investing too much time and thought. and i'm not saying that there shouldn't be a place for those people - a big part of hunting is just spending time with family and friends. i just don't think we should make the regulations FOR those people. regulations should be for the health of the herd.
Bravo!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
we have property near the border and think QDM is great. 24 people, what are they fighting???? I thought QDM was going down next year unless the NRC changes it. . .which way are they leaning??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts