Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 30 years in the marsh and the managed areas after puddlers, we made a move to the open water this season to get some room. Like a lot of you, I could never seem to get away from those who will bust at all ducks no matter the range or the fact that they would never be able to get the bird if they did manage to knock it down. Now that we are in the last few days, some of you with a lot of open water experience like to share the fine points of decoy placement with someone not too framiliar with divers? I usually have 50 to 70 blocks, mostly bills, few cans and some goldeneyes. What type of layout works best for you? Any help sure appreciated. I have noticed we get a lot of birds in to about 40 yards which then peel off instead of finishing.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I don't strictly target divers, I set a combo rig. Here's what I would set out this time of the year. I run 5 sets of diver lines. 3 on the shore side of my spread and 2 on the deep water side with a gap in the middle. All the diver lines get closer as they get up wind. Then I take a bag of about 2 -3 dozen mallards and blacks the throw them up wind of the diver lines. Basicilly I have a big "V" with a nice size flock of puddlers at the point of the V. I keep the goldeneyes to the deep water side. I do good shooting both divers and puddler. This set up has always worked good for me and I shoot alot of different species this way. ALthough your blind has to be camoed and good enough to fool mallards. My experience is divers will come in to some pretty shaby blinds but mallards aren't going to fall for anything but a blind that is set up nice. If you start killing mallards out of a boat blind rig you have it set up right. IMO

Kevlar

·
Registered
331 Posts
thanks for the tips kevlar, this is only my 2nd year and my first w/ my own decoys so my spread presentations leave a lot to be desired! i have mallrds and bluebills for decoys (for now). When you set up your "V", does the wind blow at the point of the V or in to the opening of the V?
Thanks.

Kevlar said:
I don't strictly target divers, I set a combo rig. Here's what I would set out this time of the year. I run 5 sets of diver lines. 3 on the shore side of my spread and 2 on the deep water side with a gap in the middle. All the diver lines get closer as they get up wind. Then I take a bag of about 2 -3 dozen mallards and blacks the throw them up wind of the diver lines. Basicilly I have a big "V" with a nice size flock of puddlers at the point of the V. I keep the goldeneyes to the deep water side. I do good shooting both divers and puddler. This set up has always worked good for me and I shoot alot of different species this way. ALthough your blind has to be camoed and good enough to fool mallards. My experience is divers will come in to some pretty shaby blinds but mallards aren't going to fall for anything but a blind that is set up nice. If you start killing mallards out of a boat blind rig you have it set up right. IMO

Kevlar

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kevlar, How long should the lines of divers be? Say 10 birds or so spaced at about 10 feet? I am going to have to switch to longlines, anchors are taking just too long to put out. Also, Never had a clue how much weight you needed in a good strong wind. Spent most of the time going after decoys first time there was a stiff breeze.

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
Kevlar said:
If you start killing mallards out of a boat blind rig you have it set up right. IMO

Kevlar
that ain't no lie there. have a friend who consistantly pounds mallards out of a boat blind. his just works no matter what....sorta annoys me.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
My gang lines are 128 feet long with 15 feet of anchor rope on both ends. I'm not sure of the spacing as these were premade rigs. I bought them from the Decoy Rigs company out of Ohio. Ducks always land into the wind. (for the most part.) So most of the times you want the wind hitting you in the back. So wind hitting the point of the V. There are exceptions like using islands and natural shoreline cover its not always possiable to setup with the wind at you back. But just as long as you know the ducks are going to land that way, you can set up you spread so you get some good crossing shots. I have found that alot of the divers I shoot in shallow water only use the wind to land with in the last 10 seconds. They will fly across wind to get to the decoys they once they get there they hook into the wind and land really quick. Just what I have noticed.

My wieghts on the gang lines are 2 1/2 lbs on one end and a 1 lb graple anchor on the other. It works fine for me. I also have a bag of mallards and blacks that I use for big water that ALL have 1lb anchors on them. It don't matter the wind these suckers won't move. All my bay decoys used to have 1 lb weights on them. Once I started using gang lines I was saving 10 lbs of wieght per gang line. The gang line I have are 1/4" diamond braid and the next size just under 1/4". These are 12 decoy rigs. Very nice.

Also as a beginner, remember 3 things that alot of newbies do that pisses us off. DOn't shoot at birds further than 4o yds. Pace off a single decoy and when the birds get "inside" of it its within range. We owe it to the birds to make clean kills on them and not skybust them. #2 DOn't set up right next to another guy, give him at the LEAST 300yds of space. He don't need you in his lap.:lol: And lastly, get set up BEFORE shooting time. Nothing is worst than trying to hunt and having some slob looking for a spot to setup right out in front you you. Just thought I would mention these 3. Hope this helps. Again I'm not the worlds best diver hunter, although I do shoot a few. ;) This is what works for me.

Kevlar

1 - 6 of 6 Posts