Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I don't think I have posted over here in the Waterfowl Forum yet, but I lurk quite often to gain some experience/tips.

I have been hunting for 4/5 year now, and been pretty much on my own as far as how to go about this waterfowl business so any tips I have gotten from you guys is greatly appreciated.

So my question is.........Where should I hunt??? Wait I am just kidding here.....really. Just wanted to ruffle some feathers:lol:

But really, I hunt alot up in the U.P. towards the middle of it. For the past 5 years I have been doing a weeklong trip up there and blast the heck out of some buffleheads! But I was up there last weekend and didn't see a single one, which is odd because usually they are thick up there this time of year.

Anyways, I am heading back up there for a week and bringing 4 friends, 2 are greenhorns to this sport, and the lack of buffles has me worried.

At the bridge they were thick, saw the biggest raft I have ever seen of divers, and it seems like alot of you downstaters are seeing them in large numbers also.

So are we late to the party??? I guess any insight how they migrate and for what duration would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
IMO you are late for the party, the gangs all gone. Now ! I don't diver hunt ?
So I could be all wet. Shoot Caddis or KLR a pm. There out there a lot.
There's quite a few guys out there , but they came to mind first.........
I'm sure there not "All" gone.....but I'd say the majority of them are.......:)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Buffies should be around up there until it freezes. Maybe you should look at some other lakes in the area. They may have moved.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys,

Its just weird to me, its been very consistent over the past 5 years where I hunt, and its just not one lake, its one area, which I have about 20+ lakes to choose from, I have my favorites of course.

Usually I can limit out for 3-4 days, until they wise up, even then its good shooting. I know there are some mallards I can go for, but most of them right now seem to be locals, real cagey birds.

I will hope for the best, and scout my butt off. Will be a good trip no matter what. Good Friends, No Hunting Pressure, and the Great U.P. eh.

·
Habitual outdoorsman
991 Posts
Every year is different as far as when and where any species will migrate through. There are some areas of the state that are more in the "flyway" and consistent than others, but even in the old standby locations, there will be up or down years, late or early pushes. Generally speaking, there's no way that buffleheads have come and gone already though.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I looked in my records going back 15 years, and I usually see/whack/turf my first Buffie around October 20.
This year, I didn't see my first Buffie around Harsens Island until last weekend.
I think they're a week or so late.

And I need some cat food...

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I looked in my records going back 15 years, and I usually see/whack/turf my first Buffie around October 20.
This year, I didn't see my first Buffie around Harsens Island until last weekend.
I think they're a week or so late.

And I need some cat food...
Own cats, do you:nono: :lol:

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Hey Guys,

I don't think I have posted over here in the Waterfowl Forum yet, but I lurk quite often to gain some experience/tips.

I have been hunting for 4/5 year now, and been pretty much on my own as far as how to go about this waterfowl business so any tips I have gotten from you guys is greatly appreciated.

So my question is.........Where should I hunt??? Wait I am just kidding here.....really. Just wanted to ruffle some feathers:lol:

But really, I hunt alot up in the U.P. towards the middle of it. For the past 5 years I have been doing a weeklong trip up there and blast the heck out of some buffleheads! But I was up there last weekend and didn't see a single one, which is odd because usually they are thick up there this time of year.

Anyways, I am heading back up there for a week and bringing 4 friends, 2 are greenhorns to this sport, and the lack of buffles has me worried.

At the bridge they were thick, saw the biggest raft I have ever seen of divers, and it seems like alot of you downstaters are seeing them in large numbers also.

So are we late to the party??? I guess any insight how they migrate and for what duration would be greatly appreciated.
IMO, large numbers of bills made it down early this year, 2nd weekend of season. Everything else as in eye's, buffies and squaw we'll see in numbers in another week. Typically after 11/15.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hoping to do the same, will be up there the 7th - 13th. Hoping I just missed them last week and that another huge flock pushes down!

·
Registered
536 Posts
well if it matters about 1000-1200 buffies were counted migrating past whitefish point last sat-mon. u shouldn't have missed much!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if that is the case, my timing might be great!!!!

I just have talked it up so much to my buddies, I would hate to let them down.

Confidence is climbing! thanks all

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I have been out ice fishing bayou's with open water in the middle of the lakes in January and had bufflehead flying around so until the lakes freeze you will be fine! Hoping to slam them again. We just built a two man layout boat and it is a ton of fun when a group of 6 or 8 come in!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got my vehicle loaded up and am taking off tomorrow for 5 days in the E. UP!
My hopes are high as we've had some colder weather as of late. Regardless it's going to be a great trip, but I am really hoping for a full week w/ a lot of action. I'll post some pics when we get back!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Boone, I will be rolling out of TC also, leaving Sat, can't come soon enough! Headed west once I hit the bridge tho'....... Good Luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey Boone and Superjay, Good luck in the UP. IMO you guys might even be a little early. It should be better up there but the birds haven't hit the TC area in any numbers yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts