Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K......I'm tired of arguing over robos and bitching about skybusters, people setting up too close, ect.

So I have a question: I bought a diver call a few years ago. I have yet to find an instructional calling tape, and I am just going by what was written on the package. I haven't used it too much, but it hasn't been real successful. Has anyone else tried a diver call, and had any success?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have one and use it occasionally on the bay. I've had marginal success with it. Haven't really used it enough to say that it makes a huge difference or not. I basically make the same calls I use on my mallard call. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mr 16,

I have used one for about 5 years I believe they work great. On days that are really windy I dont think they can hear the lower pitched Burrrs and opt out of using it on windy days, then again you don;t need it on windy days as they decoy readily. On calm days we have good sucess with diver calls and a black flag on a 10 foot pole. When the diver are way out there you move the flag from the right of the spread over your head to the left side of the spread. As if a diver got up off the right spread to land on the left spread. This coupled with the diver call will work good. I used a Falk Diver call, What brand do you have since in the last couple of years I have seen some more makers of diver calls.

Ducklandr

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I was taught by a guide on Walpole years ago to just use my mallard call to make the "brrrrr" sound of divers. Seems to work for me okay, and saves me from hanging ANOTHER call around my neck.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
check out an earlier string titled (I think) good calls, cheap.

Same reco as Just Ducky and Coldwater. choke down on your hen mallard call and make a puuurrrrt, purrrt, puurrrrt sound.

"quacks like a mallard" don't work for me. make a short burst, kids machine gun noise into the closed off call. that should do it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't called any large flocks of divers in, but I have turned singles or pairs that were skirting the outside edge of the spread.

You have to read their body language. If they come up outside your string, and slow down, rising up a bit to kind of look things over, and then you give a couple of short, soft brrrrs on a single-reed mallard call, they sometimes tip right in with wings set.

The first time it worked for me, I was so surprised that I forgot to shoot!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If you go to the Ducks Unlimited site in the waterfowl ID part, you can hear what calls the different divers make. For Redheads I make a kind OWWwww sound that seems to work.

Ken Martin
MDHA Bluewater- President

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have used a diver call often with great success. I do have some diver calls but, as stated above,you can use your mallard call. I like the double reed Oldt for this. Merely growl and purr into the call and that's all that's necessary.
I've sat on rock jetties and called over 12 dozen divers into the rig. By the time they'd made their 5th pass I had them all setting down in the decoys. It's a cool scene. Now...we won't even go into how bad we shot after that though....doh. :)
Lou

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys....I just checked out my call and there are no markings on it but I think it's a Faulks. The directions I had said to "burl" into the call......I think I get the idea now.;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts