Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the reason why we are not allowed to use a 22 to dispatch a trapped beaver? It's legal in other states.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is because all your beaver sets are supposed to be lethal. Whether foothold, snare or conibear. Footholds on a drowner would do the job, I don't see why a snare couldn't be used on a drowner either in a open water situation.

Would be nice if there was an exception but I'm sure that would get taken advantage of. First year trapping here so I'm sure others will have more info/corrections.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure it is because all your beaver sets are supposed to be lethal. Whether foothold, snare or conibear. Footholds on a drowner would do the job, I don't see why a snare couldn't be used on a drowner either in a open water situation.

Would be nice if there was an exception but I'm sure that would get taken advantage of. First year trapping here so I'm sure others will have more info/corrections.
In most cases it is lethal. They will sometimes drag whatever you are using for weight into shallow water though, and be waiting there for you.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
My mistake I was thinking of snares I guess I have read the guide alot and always pick more up each time.

Equipment
Only foothold, body-gripping, or conibear-type traps may be used for taking
beaver and otter. Traps with teeth are unlawful. Exception: Snares may be
used for taking beaver in water or under ice, statewide. Snares must be made
of 1/16-inch or larger cable. Snares not under ice must have a loop which is
at least half submerged and be set in a fashion to hold the beaver completely
submerged.
Snares shall be removed and made inoperative within 24 hours
after the close of the beaver season.

From page 31 of the trapping guide.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
A good friend and fellow Michigan Sportsman Forum member got $$ reamed by the DNR some years ago when he caught a coon in a mink-intended drowning set but the coon didn’t drown.

Reactions: Justin and FREEPOP

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
They have cleared that up with the DNR now.

Reactions: Seldom

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know why other than the chance of ricochet.
Trying to dispatch an otter without a gun or catchpole is a workout. A wet workout at that.
That reminds me of a story Belin told at a convention in Alma. I could never do it justice but it was about catching an otter out of season and having a rookie C.O. try to release it. It ended with a bang! Literally.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
They have cleared that up with the DNR now.
Yes, it has been cleared up now but he still paid a fine and has it on his record!! What he and his family went through, nobody should’ve had happen to them!

Reactions: FMann and FREEPOP
1 - 10 of 10 Posts