Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 plots on my property. Two serve as "destination" plots and are currently planted in a clover/ buckwheat base. The three smaller plots were in a Lick Creek rotation. I have decided to abandon the rotation due to the fact that the brassicas always get eaten to dirt and I have to throw rye on them eventually. The 3 plots were quite weedy, so I have sprayed them 2 times this summer in prep for a planting in about one month (August 15). I will plant the 3 plots in an oats/red clover/ groundhog radish, with rye added in 2-3 weeks later, and possibly more rye 2-3 weeks after that. This basically is the Jeff Sturgis "Layed Food Plot" concept. My question is as follows:

- I have one month until I plant. Should I disk now and spray whatever weeds pop up prior to planting or should I wait and disk at planting time?

James

·
Registered
36,014 Posts
I like to use the sun as a herbicide. It works great for those who have the time to disc multiple times in the summer. It reduces the seed bank over time too.

·
Registered
19,170 Posts
Here's another vote to disk lightly now to stir up the seed bed. You should get millions of weed seeds to germinate that you can disk and/or spray later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts