Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Should've known the kind of day it was shaping up to be when I get to st Jean's on a mid April Saturday with 15 trailers in the lot at 10am. Three boats came in while I was launching! Between the three boats ( 5 guys) they had 0.0 FISH !!! Three of us still went out for 4 hours and we felt like we hit the jackpot with 3 fish. All nice 3 to 4 lbs. 2 on pimp daddy and one on brown ww. 35+ feet was the ticket. Tried casting in the mouth ....more into the lake ....but to no avail.

Can see why the crowds are down. It's some real tough fishing out there. The lady in the boat took 2 fish and between us 2 guys we could only manage 1 - and that was me 馃榾

Marty

Registered
Should've known the kind of day it was shaping up to be when I get to st Jean's on a mid April Saturday with 15 trailers in the lot at 10am. Three boats came in while I was launching! Between the three boats ( 5 guys) they had 0.0 FISH !!! Three of us still went out for 4 hours and we felt like we hit the jackpot with 3 fish. All nice 3 to 4 lbs. 2 on pimp daddy and one on brown ww. 35+ feet was the ticket. Tried casting in the mouth ....more into the lake ....but to no avail.

Can see why the crowds are down. It's some real tough fishing out there. The lady in the boat took 2 fish and between us 2 guys we could only manage 1 - and that was me 馃榾

Marty
I should have introduced my self. I think that was you pulling out at the same time I was around 2:15.

At least I found some smallies and still have a good stock of walleye fillets in the freezer.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have introduced my self. I think that was you pulling out at the same time I was around 2:15.

At least I found some smallies and still have a good stock of walleye fillets in the freezer.

I think so.... you mentioned 15-20 smallies! That鈥檚 some good action. Jigging for hours with one hit is not what you would call fun!
LOL 馃槀
Marty

Registered
Fished the whole US side of river Thursday/Friday for two walleye. Literally went from LSC to Erie and many places in between. Extremely disappointed. Saw two boats net one fish each. Bonus large sucker in front of COBO. Doubt I鈥檒l be back to jig any time soon. Water was still 44-45 which I think is rather cold at this time of y.

Registered
Last few years were, 鈥渓ots of under 20鈥 fish, no worries they鈥檒l get bigger鈥. Now nothing? If the river was full of fish that weren鈥檛 biting guys would still be foul hooking limits and rolling enough fish to feel them. Starting to worry that something is seriously wrong and I can鈥檛 imagine what. I caught more fish on an inland lake yesterday than the boat total for four trips to the D. There should be fish from the 2010-2018 year classes in the river and there鈥檚 squat. In the whole river. Doesn鈥檛 make any sense.

Registered

Can see why the crowds are down. It's some real tough fishing out there. The lady in the boat took 2 fish and between us 2 guys we could only manage 1 - and that was me

Marty
I think all of the crowds have moved to Lake Erie. Must have been 50 trailers already parked when we rolled in at a little before 7Am. Don't usually like to fish the weekends but have to take what mother nature gives you.
I miss jigging the upper but haven't done it since good Friday. Still hoping conditions change a little and we can get out there in May.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Registered
Last few years were, 鈥渓ots of under 20鈥 fish, no worries they鈥檒l get bigger鈥. Now nothing? If the river was full of fish that weren鈥檛 biting guys would still be foul hooking limits and rolling enough fish to feel them. Starting to worry that something is seriously wrong and I can鈥檛 imagine what. I caught more fish on an inland lake yesterday than the boat total for four trips to the D. There should be fish from the 2010-2018 year classes in the river and there鈥檚 squat. In the whole river. Doesn鈥檛 make any sense.
If you follow Capt. Lance Valentine's video updates on FB, he's hinted several times recently, of this same thing.....that something seems wrong?? We've only been twice to the river this year, and managed to get our fish both times, but it's definitely been more of a grind, than the recent past.....?????

Sent from my SM-A505U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Registered
Not on FB but I鈥檓 fishing with him Friday so I鈥檒l ask. My biggest worry is it鈥檚 river wide. If it was just a section you could blame bridge construction or something.

I鈥檓 no expert but I know that boat activity can negatively effect the spawn out on the reefs. We鈥檝e all heard complaints for years about being on a good bite until 50 other boats see your net dipping and jump in on the drift. Could it be that the heavy pressure has ruined the spawn? Sure hope not.

Another possibility is silt. I鈥檓 not there every day but my recollection is that there鈥檚 been a lot of dirty water the last few years and that can ruin the spawn too. If there鈥檚 heavy mud for a week while the water is in the mid 40s that could ruin it. With this year nice and clear we could have a good hatch. Too bad we won鈥檛 know until 鈥24.

Registered
Not on FB but I鈥檓 fishing with him Friday so I鈥檒l ask. My biggest worry is it鈥檚 river wide. If it was just a section you could blame bridge construction or something.

I鈥檓 no expert but I know that boat activity can negatively effect the spawn out on the reefs. We鈥檝e all heard complaints for years about being on a good bite until 50 other boats see your net dipping and jump in on the drift. Could it be that the heavy pressure has ruined the spawn? Sure hope not.

Another possibility is silt. I鈥檓 not there every day but my recollection is that there鈥檚 been a lot of dirty water the last few years and that can ruin the spawn too. If there鈥檚 heavy mud for a week while the water is in the mid 40s that could ruin it. With this year nice and clear we could have a good hatch. Too bad we won鈥檛 know until 鈥24.
If boat traffic affects spawning in a negative way, then that means last year was the best year ever cuz they had that **** locked down.

Registered
I think after the full moon tomorrow night it will fire right up. Water being super clear and the water temp dropping like it did the past few weeks probably put them in a bit of shock. Should start warming up and staying on that path now. They seem to be doing good in the lake so it could have just delayed the major run a bit. I wouldn't worry until this time next month. If things are the same by then there is definitely something wrong.

Banned

Premium Member
If you follow Capt. Lance Valentine's video updates on FB, he's hinted several times recently, of this same thing.....that something seems wrong?? We've only been twice to the river this year, and managed to get our fish both times, but it's definitely been more of a grind, than the recent past.....?????

Sent from my SM-A505U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
The Emerald Shiner run in the river right now is of epic proportions, something that we haven鈥檛 seen in years. It definitely has a direct impact on the location of walleyes, especially just before sunrise and after sunset. You must adjust your approach to find and catch these fish.
Jay

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Watched the Lace FB reports. He looks and sounds like one deflated dude. Bummer! If him and his charter buddies aren't doing any better than us regular Joe's, you know it's tough bite out there!

Marty

Registered
Sorry guys, it's my fault. I decided to fish the D first time this year and think I hexed it for everyone. Granted it's from shore, but nobody doing all that well any place there either. I've converted from days to dusk/night last 4 trips but only one or two fish to show for it. Most guys still think "it's coming" yet. Man my shoulder is sore!

Registered
Its fishing. Sometimes you have to work for it. We all had become so spoiled as to think all you have to do is show up and the fish will be plentiful. I know some guys who constantly violated the limits and were proud of it. To me personally it doesn't matter, I fish for the sheer joy of being able to get out and enjoy the outdoors even though I am considering retirement and starting a charter service. It was pleasant being on the river this weekend without all the crowds.
Our numbers are way down too, but we constantly bring home 3 to 6 per trip. I keep thinking this has simply to do with mother nature helping herself. Think about it, we have sonars that can spot a quarter on the bottom and put you on an identical spot over and over. High tech rods and reels, innovation's in tackle. The fish don't stand a chance. Maybe she just thought about throwing a wrench into everyone's plans this year, no rain, no wind, therefore limited fish numbers. Just more to catch later this year in the lake's.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.