Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be putting my first traps in the ground on Thursday, and have a question when it comes to digging the dirt hole. What are you using to make your dirt hole in frozen ground? If your using a wood auger drill bit, what size are you using?

·
Registered
26,516 Posts
Frost is only an inch or two so once you get through that is easy.
I've used an ax, claw hammer, stakes, and digging tools like below

Reactions: Mr. Marley

·
Registered
26,516 Posts
BTW a claw hammer does work pretty good, just make sure the claws are more straight like:

and not curved like:

Reactions: paddleboy

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My hammer and stake worked just fine. I was amazed to see how soft the ground was.

My first ever set’s are in the ground, I’m excited to see what happens.

I set the traps in two different locations, and both locations had a ton of coyote tracks all over the place.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check my sets at lunch today. No catch so far. I did notice some Ice build up on top of my wax dirt. I don't think i have anything to worry about, we got freezing rain last night in SE side of the state, and it has been raining all day. I expect the rain to melt the little ice that was there. Maybe tomorrow I will have some luck

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Your thoughts, and feedback Please....

So I have been checking my 2 traps daily. I try my best to check from a distance, but I had to walk up on one trap today because I could see the trap was set off, but nothing was caught. The trap was not pulled away from the hole as if an animal pulled out of it, but it looks like when it went off, and it flipped itself over where I bedded it at. it was face down. I also saw no hair in the area of the trap, or on it.

My best guess is that my Pan tension is to loose, and what ever stepped on it, got a nice education from this rookie.

Question:
Do you think i am correct with the pan tension. I knew it was below the 3 pound desire, but not sure where it is exactly at. I plan on tightening it slightly, until i can buy a trap pan tension tester.

Question:
Should i just bed the trap again on the same spot, and refresh the lure/bait/urine, or should i move the trap to a new location close by the old set, and just make a new dirt hole lure/bait/urine?

On a good note, i guess my waxed dirt worked.

·
Registered
18,261 Posts
Are you convinced the pan was stepped on?
Without evidence of why/how the trap tripped , multiple scenario's can be imagined.

Has a set under an undercut stump once.
Tripped.
Reset with lightest possible pan tension and had it trip while covering with fine duff. Reset and re covered.
Next check and following checks something cleaned off trap jaws......Without tripping trap.
I was about convinced mice with whisk brooms were at work.
Never did make a catch there.:cheeky-sm

Reactions: Mr. Marley

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not sure that the pan was stepped on. There are tracks in the area, but my waxed dirt was tossed around, so i could not see any identifiable tracks. I used waxed dirt below the trap in the bed, and on top of the trap. There was some light ice the other day built up on the wax dirt, but when it warmed up, it melted. I read that a freeze, and thaw could also make a CS trap go off. I can only assume that something stepped on it, it has been sitting there for almost a week now.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I am not sure that the pan was stepped on. There are tracks in the area, but my waxed dirt was tossed around, so i could not see any identifiable tracks. I used waxed dirt below the trap in the bed, and on top of the trap. There was some light ice the other day built up on the wax dirt, but when it warmed up, it melted. I read that a freeze, and thaw could also make a CS trap go off. I can only assume that something stepped on it, it has been sitting there for almost a week now.
Could have been a coon digging in your waxed dirt or if the trap was sprung it could have been a deer. Both of which are common occurrances.
I read that a freeze, and thaw could also make a CS trap go off.
I've never had that happen before nor do I understand the mechanics of it but of course there are a lot of old trappers tales I don't believe.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's been an interesting almost 3 weeks as a newbie. I have had a trap set off with a miss, i caught a Possum, but something stole the animal from my trap (left me the animal paw in the trap, paw was still touching the pan), I have caught a house dog (which was released by the owner very quickly, which was on trail camera), and now, i have coyote tracks within 10 feet from my traps, but not goting to the dirt hole sets. My goal for my first year trapping, is to catch one coyoyte or fox, which I know its just a matter of time, but the suspense is starting to kill me. Either way, i am having fun.

·
Registered
159 Posts
following this close as its my first year too, 5-6 #2 are going on next weekend and a good attitude. Need to show the kids something new and its a good walk everyday checking them from a distance.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
following this close as its my first year too, 5-6 #2 are going on next weekend and a good attitude. Need to show the kids something new and its a good walk everyday checking them from a distance.
I agree....good to get out and remove some yote

1 - 17 of 17 Posts