Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am closing out my first week at attempting to trap coyotes using dirt hole sets. I bought supplies from F&T, including MB550 traps. I boiled the traps to remove the oil and hung them outside for several days to allow them to rust a little bit. I then dye'd and waxed them. I went through all the steps to get the 2 traps set on a field edge that gets lots of coyote traffic. On two of the mornings this week, I had fresh tracks by my traps, but it appears they are investigating the traps more than the bait or backer.

I wore disposible latex gloves to set the traps, but I am guessing they are picking up on some scent on the trap. I am using Hawbaker lure and urine, but F&T was out of bait, so I picked some up at Gander Mountain. There aren't any other trappers in the area that I know of, so I don't think the coyotes are overly educated.

The two things I am not sure of is how much dirt I should be placing over the traps or how much bait to put in. I am putting a thin layer of dry dirt down now that is less than 1/2" over the trap. My bait hole is maybe 1 - 2" in diameter and about 6" deep.

We are also expected to get 4 - 6" of snow tonight and tomorrow, so I would like to get any adjustments made to the traps today so they are set for any increase in activity before or after the storm.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Well Grub, that's coyote trapping! Searching for the right combination, searching to sing the right song! The coyote will tell you how to catch them, so you have to listen and learn to listen well!;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm not going to say my way is better, but it is a little different and I will explain, for better or worse. I love lure and use very little bait. Trust your lure. Patience, I have have sets that yotes walk by now and then for 10 days and more and then start getting catches. They know it's there and will commit when ready. Warmer weather I try to put 1/4" dirt over trap, always get more. Frigid weather I go for 1/8" over trap an make sure I do it. I also try to get hole a little deeper, lure in bottom and a couple leaves or a little grass so they can't see bottom. I use about 3" round holes but don't think bigger or smaller matters that much. Good Luck, Randy

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Seldom preaches the good gospel... coyotes will test your patience and determination. I have had sets that connected on the second night... others like the one I caught last week sat for 3 weeks before they were worked. Then there is the freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw... trapping K9's can be heart breaking and exhilarating ~ sometimes all in the same day...

But, you'll never forget your first as its when you gain the confidence that you are capable of catching one... and then the addiction is on. Anyone can catch a coon/rat/mink... even fox aren't overly difficult if you have a decent population... but coyotes are another breed altogether...

Those buggers know your sets are there, and most likely you've over lured/baited them as most of us do. Give them time, keep em in working order, and odds are in the near future you'll make your first catch... make sure you post a picture, as we all love pictures ;)

Today I had one miss the pan by 1/2 inch... so now the game is on :evilsmile

-Chris

·
Registered
18,753 Posts
Louder stinkier steel on other side of hole ,exposed for them to worry and worry about. If your pans and bedding are weather ready its a wait game. Urine belongs where a canine would leave it. Your lure is working it seems,bait can be a mouse for my care. Plenty big but not unnatural for a fox to nibble a hole ,suck innards out,cache and mark near. (a hound showed me one winter when it found one by a piece of pine stump fox seemed to mark,and hound to check regular,one particular day it had stashed the mouse? winter ,did not see any weasel sign,just fox..)Give yote a chance to rob renyard.
Black swamp muck good to soak/bury a while new traps if your trapping in area. You,ll figure better ideas soon. Not answering your dirt question cause you seem fine till you can prove different. Keep it fun.Watch for any high spots being used after snow gets deeper for a set maybe.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
How about some steerage for you and toward the coyote. What does a dirt hole set really mean to a coyote? It's not only a place to apply your scents, it's a visual attraction to a coyote who, by scientific study, hunts largely by eyesight. A dirt hole set steers a coyote by the sheer construction of the set to place it's body and it's feet where both it and you want them, over the trap.

What happens when the dirt hole is covered with snow and there's nothing for the coyote to be visually "steered" by! There's just scent emanating from one spot, your steering is completely lost along with the attraction of the visual aspects of a dirt hole set. The main reason for using a dirt hole set is lost. If there's no steerage, what do you need to do to do in order to get the coyote's foot on the trap?

Watch what the coyote does if it likes your scent, being now your only attractant to the trap. What you see it do will teach volumes IF it's interested enough in your scent to approach the set in the first place!!;) The coyote will tell you several things if you listen to it and not try and force it to do what you think it should do. Forcing is a human thought process, to a coyote you might as well try pushing a rope!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about some steerage for you and toward the coyote. What does a dirt hole set really mean to a coyote? It's not only a place to apply your scents, it's a visual attraction to a coyote who, by scientific study, hunts largely by eyesight. A dirt hole set steers a coyote by the sheer construction of the set to place it's body and it's feet where both it and you want them, over the trap.

What happens when the dirt hole is covered with snow and there's nothing for the coyote to be visually "steered" by! There's just scent emanating from one spot, your steering is completely lost along with the attraction of the visual aspects of a dirt hole set. The main reason for using a dirt hole set is lost. If there's no steerage, what do you need to do to do in order to get the coyote's foot on the trap?

Watch what the coyote does if it likes your scent, being now your only attractant to the trap. What you see it do will teach volumes IF it's interested enough in your scent to approach the set in the first place!!;) The coyote will tell you several things if you listen to it and not try and force it to do what you think it should do. Forcing is a human thought process, to a coyote you might as well try pushing a rope!!
Thanks for the input! I wasn't expecting immediate success, but was a little concerned that I was missing something obvious. I'm looking forward to fresh tracks in the snow Sunday morning to help me listen to what the coyote wants :)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
40 Posts
Coyotes will test your patience. I had a dirthole set out for probably 3wks where a coyote had previously dug up a gopher. I though it'd be a perfect spot as it had the eye appeal of being a natural hole and coyote scent already around. I bedded my trap, put my peat moss over it, then lightly covered that with some of the dirt, then I took a piece of rabbit fur and stuffed it down the hole so the fur could be seen, then placed a little lure at the top of the hole. 3wks went by before a coyote came to work the set!! and when he did work it, he worked it hard digging at the hole and removing my trap and setting it off. I was pumped that he worked it as I new my set was right, but P...off b/c I missed him. I remade the set and trippled down with three #3's so hopefully I'll get him/her and some of their friends.
Another scenario I set a flat set with just a visual lure of a couple turkey feathers and some urine. Two days went by and I had a rabbit get caught in the trap, which then lured in a yote who ate the rabbit in half. I then took the rabbit and made a cache set near by and marked it with urine, 4 days later I had a yote in that set.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coyotes will test your patience. I had a dirthole set out for probably 3wks where a coyote had previously dug up a gopher. I though it'd be a perfect spot as it had the eye appeal of being a natural hole and coyote scent already around. I bedded my trap, put my peat moss over it, then lightly covered that with some of the dirt, then I took a piece of rabbit fur and stuffed it down the hole so the fur could be seen, then placed a little lure at the top of the hole. 3wks went by before a coyote came to work the set!! and when he did work it, he worked it hard digging at the hole and removing my trap and setting it off. I was pumped that he worked it as I new my set was right, but P...off b/c I missed him. I remade the set and trippled down with three #3's so hopefully I'll get him/her and some of their friends.
Another scenario I set a flat set with just a visual lure of a couple turkey feathers and some urine. Two days went by and I had a rabbit get caught in the trap, which then lured in a yote who ate the rabbit in half. I then took the rabbit and made a cache set near by and marked it with urine, 4 days later I had a yote in that set.
Coyote worked the set Sunday morning, missing the trap by inches. Second time it's approached the set from the west. Going to reposition the trap more to a 11am position from the hole and hopefully that'll work.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

1 - 9 of 9 Posts