Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting set up for salmon fishing and purchased 2 TDR 9'6" heavy action rods over the weekend but am second quesing my purchase after reading the archives on dipsy rods.

I have a 19'6" Starcraft and am wondering if I should have bought shorter rods due to space limitations.

Also I'm wondering if I should have bought medium or medium-heavy action instead of heavy.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey SteveO,

Which model did you get? Are they the 1953's? If so those are a medium heavy rod. I dont think they make the TDR's in a heavy action at 9'6".

Either way, those rods should work fine for you. I dont think they will be too long for you, but that will depend more on how you have everything set up. They certainly wont be unfishable, but you just might find yourself sword fighting during doubles and what not.

The heavier action will come in handy for tripping dipsy's that are way back there. You could certainly have probably gotten by with a lighter action, but I dont think it will hinder you at all.

I would think that they would also work out well for full cores if you run any, too.

If you are really concerned about it, let me know how much you want for them, I might be interested in taking them off your hands. :D

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,135 Posts
Is yours a FishMaster by chance ?

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
For dipsey rods you want heavy or medium-heavy action. I have heavy action 9' rods for my inside and 10' medium-heavy rods for my outside rods.

You did good.

For rigger rods go medium or medium-heavy action. 8' or 8'6" is preferable to most people.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I have a 16 foot vessel and I have two 10.5 foot depthmaster rods that I use for Dispies.

I also bought a couple 9.5 foot TDR's last fall that will also be able to run dipsies...

I think you will be just fine...

·
Registered
201 Posts
15' boat. TDR 1953's for outside dipseys and Full Cores. 1853's for inside. Everything works out. When things get crazy, the humans on board seem to find the room they need to get the job done. Dogs are another story.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jaid
I'm quite sure they are the 1953's but they say heavy action not med-heavy action. I'm concerned that the heavy action may be too stiff for playing the fish. Don't want to lose fish because of too stiff of a rod.

FIJI
It's a 1999 superfisherman (SFM 196) I found out at the Ford Field show that Starcraft doesn't make that model anymore.

I'm just beginning to learn about deep water salmon fishing and the help from this site has been fantastic. From all of your input it sounds like a heavy action rod at 9'6" would work just fine. Thanks tons for all the input.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ahh weird. On shimanos website they list the 1953's as medium heavy.

Like everyone said, Im sure they will work out just fine. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts