Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the second week in a row fished between Gino's and Crocker about a mile out got into a few decent ones, then just like last week dink city one after another. After a couple of moves with the same result we moved in tighter to shore, once again like last week the big ones would come into the hole but no takers. Looking at other posts it's the same all over the lake, still it was Good to get out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I didn't even get dinks today. But I did get one big rock bass, and a Muskie I couldn't get through the hole. Line ended up cutting on the ice as I tried to drill a adjoining hole!

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I'm about 200 yds in front of the big boat lift. Even though there's a lot of dinks.... we've got our fair share of 9s and bigger. Spear did the trick so far

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I was approached yesterday by a gentleman who would drill a hole with a power auger every 100 yards several times drop a camera down for five minutes. His comment to me there are no perch of any size and only dinks. After he left in about 15 minutes I caught several 8-9" perch and a 10.5" fish.
My point is this........
There are a good number of big perch in lake st clair. Most of us are fishing shallow water less than 5 feet. Fish get spooked easy and takes a while for them to settle. Yesterday was a zoo from the point at metro all the way to Gino's, one would expect only smaller aggressive fish to be active.
I also witnessed larger fish around with lockjaw. Also remember to watch weather patterns, perch and walleye are very sensitive to the barometer and cold fronts, even in winter.
Don't be afraid to fish away from activity. I generally do better where there are maybe less fish but more active and catchable fish. Nine of of ten times it's not the bait or color, it's the presentation.
Just my 2 cents that maybe can help some of you.
I understand most of us can only fish certain times because of life, but try to maximize the time you can.
Good luck to all of you the rest of the season and when the barometers dropping with a warm front, try to get out you may be suprised what lake st clair has to offer.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I was approached yesterday by a gentleman who would drill a hole with a power auger every 100 yards several times drop a camera down for five minutes. His comment to me there are no perch of any size and only dinks. After he left in about 15 minutes I caught several 8-9" perch and a 10.5" fish.
My point is this........
There are a good number of big perch in lake st clair. Most of us are fishing shallow water less than 5 feet. Fish get spooked easy and takes a while for them to settle. Yesterday was a zoo from the point at metro all the way to Gino's, one would expect only smaller aggressive fish to be active.
I also witnessed larger fish around with lockjaw. Also remember to watch weather patterns, perch and walleye are very sensitive to the barometer and cold fronts, even in winter.
Don't be afraid to fish away from activity. I generally do better where there are maybe less fish but more active and catchable fish. Nine of of ten times it's not the bait or color, it's the presentation.
Just my 2 cents that maybe can help some of you.
I understand most of us can only fish certain times because of life, but try to maximize the time you can.
Good luck to all of you the rest of the season and when the barometers dropping with a warm front, try to get out you may be suprised what lake st clair has to offer.
:yeahthat:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts