Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know it this is the right forum for this question, but none of the others seem to be the right fit. I'll try anyway. I'm looking for a good quality and proven digital scouting camera. Now tis the season that a lot of company's are reducing inventory and marking down such items. Any of you have experience with the CamTrakker, Pennswoods, TrailMAC, Recon, or any other comparable models. I'm looking for long battery life and reliability in all temperature extremes. Any help is appreciated.

· Registered
4,825 Posts
For long battery life and reliability as you've stated you want, I doubt the Cuddeback can be beat. Also they stand behind their product. Also, they take a great picture. I'll email some to you a few if you wish. Just send me an email or PM and I'll send you a selection from day and night photos.

· Registered
205 Posts
I have a campera from Woodland Outdoor Sports. They're local to MI and build a unit that is very similat to that of the Penn's Woods product, but cheaper (last time I checked...) You can view their website here: http://www.woodlandspycam.com/

Battery life seems to be good, although I have not used mine a ton. It's nice that it only uses a 9volt and two double As for the camera. That makes it considerably lighter than others that use several D-Cell batteries.

I've actually had a problem with mine, but they will fix it once I am done with it this season. Pictures appear to good. (These are at 1 mega-pixel, but the camera has the capability to take pics at 4 megapixel!) (Notice me in the tree.....)

· Registered
7,486 Posts
I understand this post is about digital cameras, but I have to throw this in. I've had two Cuddebacks ripped off. That's a grand total of $800. Now, it is true that it's cheaper to run a digital cam, but it's not cheaper to have them ripped off compared to buying a couple 35 mm's. I now use the DeerCam ($99.00)which is made by the same company as Cuddeback. I have had no problems with trigger speed at all. When the roll is done, I take it to WalMart and have them put the pics on a disk (CD). It's three bucks. If I want any developed, which isn't too often, I make them right in WalMart at their self serve station for 19 or 29 cents a print. Tally all this up and it's cheaper than a digital cam and just as efficient.

· Registered
175 Posts
I started using a 35mm this year. I quickly learned that the $ add up quickly. The person above me left out the cost of the film and the time involved in dropping off the film and picking up the disc. Maybe I am too imatiant. I quickly switches the the Wildview. I have seen them on sale for as low as $69,00 this fall. $3 to have put on dist and $2.00 for a roll of film= $5.00 around. I have 3 options with the wildview. I can take my lap top out to the tree and look at them there. I can bring the unit in and use the USB cable to any of my computers. It also has a spot for a scandisc to hold the pic's. Pull the disc and put it in my camera of if you have a computer with a reader to see them. The pic's have been pretty good too.
If it gets ripped of, I will still feel it but it will not set me back 3 or $400

· Registered
409 Posts
I started using a Cuddeback three years ago and added the new Cuddeback and a Wildview this year.

The new Cuddeback is by far superior. However they are dreaming with claims of 100 foot trigger. The best I could do was about 60 feet in 19 degree temp.

The Wildview ($79.00 at Cabelas) is ok for determining if a worthwhile buck is in the area. However, you can not pattern the deer unless you check it everyday since there is no date and time imprint with it. Also you can zoom the picture to get detail because of poor resolutiuon and the flash range is limited.

If you don't have a portable computer you can buy a card reader fo $40 from Staples and view your images on a TV if you have one at your camp.

Tips-Use bait or a salt block and put it right in front of the camera (10-15 feet) I use a salt block early in the summer and early fall but the deer will ignore soon after bow season starts.

If you watch a trail, set your camera up pointing up/down the trail not across it. If you set up across the trail you will get nothing or the butt of a deer most of the time. If you set up pointing down/up the trail, even if you get a butt shot, if the deer has antlers worth seeing they will be exposed.

874 images this year ( MID AUG-NOV) from three cameras- 24 different bucks at one stand. Food plots pay off. Thats 25 rolls of 36 exp. The cost of the digital pays off plus immediate viewing lets you make immediate decisions on hunting OR camera set up. Plus unless you scan in a print, you can not zoom to check detail or digitally brighten the image to see what is lurking beyond the falsh.

The first image is from the Wildview strapped to an apple tree. The second image is from the new Cuddeback (there are apples under the snow). Unfortunately I was downstate and missed this opportunity. The third image is from the old Cuddeback.

GO DIGITAL!!

· Registered
4,825 Posts
fishindude said:
BGB, is the color always like that at night on the wildview? I don't deer hunt but i would like to have a cheap trail cam just to see what's around. is it worth it for the money
For me it turns out that it was worth the money for that trail cam. I bought mine in September and got almost 300 pictures. Some are dandies and some are just of fawns or does. All in all, the enjoyment I am getting from the camera, well, I'm not sorry I got it. May get another next summer. btw, mine is a Cuddeback.

· Registered
1,626 Posts
Cuddeback is my second try at cameras. Got tired of film processing sun rises and sun sets and blowing branches. While it is expensive it does provide you great pics and you can load them right away no waiting.

Draw backs..... if you don't really really hide your camera it will be stolen. I hang mine in trees almost 20ft. up or under stumps/deadfalls and no night pics. I still have my camera but miss alot of bucks due to daylight only pics. It does take alot of work hiding the camera however I'm on my second season.

It is easily programmable and does work great.

However,,,,, if I had to do it all over again I would buy a cheaper camera that takes cards. You can buy one for $99 and if you want night pics and someone finds it at dusk as the flash goes off you don't loose $500. Even loosing $100 sucks however its easier to swallow then 5 times that. So buy a cheaper camera that takes cards and don't have sick stomach everytime you walk into your area wondering if you camera is still there. . Good luck. :grouphug:

· Registered
205 Posts
I think that I may try suspending my camera in the air as well. I've heard about many guys doing that.

I should note that in the pictures above, the weather had temeratures varying from the 30's to almost 70 with 30+ mph winds with no "false" triggers, yet it was plenty sensitive to pick up a big fox squirrel and **** that stopped by.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.