Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

301 - 305 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
It was on a FB page for Alcona County ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/427998860553125 )

Not sure where it would have been but it's about 17 miles from Mikado to Glennie. They are still guessing where it would have been on there. :D Bamfield is now Alcona dam, I'm sure your Dad will remember it being called that.
My dad is not the most aware individual. Case in point, a few years back by brother was hunting (brother was just sitting in a tree trying to spot deer for my dad) with my dad. They were about 40 yards apart within plain sight of each other. My brother said a nice doe came out between them in the wide open which was pretty much in front of my dad. He never saw the deer. LMAO!:lol::lol::lol:
Im guessing if Bamfield is Alcona dam, that sign had to have been on 65 just north of Hale close to the Bear store. Its about 20 miles from Hale to Glennie and the dam is about 4 miles west of town.
We were talking to the waitress in the Chat-N-Chew this past season and she gave us quite the history lesson on Glennie. Used to be a railroad that came through town. The Chat-N-Chew used to be the post office, tax collectors office, and a couple other things which I cant remember what she said. Pretty interesting little history of that place.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Anyone remember when we could shoot 4 bucks in a season? I wonder what percentage of hunters did that. That was back in our wild west days.:)
Yes I remember that ogb that was crazy ! to answer the original question I have never shot 2 Michigan bucks in a season , but that was me being picky I will only shoot a second buck if it’s bigger than my first one of the year . I let several bucks walk because of my rule , but that’s just me I don’t put my goals to others to follow

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Mostly, yes. The 2 buck archery and 2 buck gun lasted 5 years. However, there were years in there where we could still take a camp buck and then there were the island buck seasons also. Those were a separate license.
I haven't tried to look at the history of DNR licenses, but a few hunters in those 5 years could have taken 5+ legal bucks.
If you are old enough and hunt the right area you will know hunters that have taken at least 2 legal bucks every year since the Jimmy Carter adminintration took office. 44 years I believe.

EDIT: The reason that many will remember the 4 buck era lasting much longer than 5 years is that the DNR continued to sell 4 buck licenses 7 more years, however they did add the line to the Hunting Guide that only 2 bucks were legal.

L & O
I knew one guy around 1987 that filled all four licenses. He kind of regretted it afterwards, 3 of the 4 were yearling bucks and he has two kids that hunt.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yea, i also remember those days well. Back than i use to follow fred abbas stories and read about his techiniques for hunting mature big michigan bucks. (He took 4 book bucks the last year that you could legally take four bucks). However it never worked for me-lol. Two bucks for me in a season is rare. And im not fussy.......maybe that's my downfall:)

301 - 305 of 305 Posts