Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

281 - 300 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
This is what I needed... some back and forth banter. Been so disappointed since deer season is over, come on here and all that is posted is a weather update. Thanks everyone for playing, now carry on.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
This is what I needed... some back and forth banter. Been so disappointed since deer season is over, come on here and all that is posted is a weather update. Thanks everyone for playing, now carry on.
And fishing.:eek:

Reactions: ongo and Joe Archer

·
Registered
160 Posts
We as hunters need to ban together as one and not let the anti- hunting win at their agenda. I did harvest two good bucks the past 2 years.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Man...I almost forgot what the hell this post was about and im the one that started it. LMAO!
So who else killed two bucks last year, regardless of their age or size?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I used to own a nice piece of property right in the corner of Gladwin, Clare & Roscommon counties. I loved the property for the big woods feel, the fact I had bears cruise through regularly, great turkey hunting and quite a few grouse. I put a ton of time into that place with food plots and TSI. Rarely would I get a buck over 110 inches on camera.

I think there were a couple issues was that the deer never got any age. Most of my neighbors shot the first buck they saw and were hell on the does even though the area wouldn't support it. Second, quality of food. My food plots could not make up for the fact there was no ag for miles. I guess there may also be a difference in minerals in the soil. That is an overlooked factor in my opinion. I finally sold the place,

Now I am in Calhoun county and am seeing the type of deer I like to hunt. This year however I was very picky because of what I was seeing and never ended up letting an arrow go. There are a few big does that better keep their heads down early next year. I am after them before they know they are being hunted.
Agree with sniper, very nice and well thought out post. I actually can relate. I've spent a lot of time hunting my family's property over the years in Harrison and have run into the same issues, so I can relate.

Good on you for knowing your own personal goals and aspirations and changing your situation to make them a reality. Michigan is an odd state, where traveling just an hour or 2 can completely change your hunting experience. Never apologize for what dictates an enjoyable hunting experience for yourself personally, and that goes for every one on here.

I still hunt in Harrison a handful of times a year, more or less for the novelty of it and the nice country. But most of my time afield is spent further south, where the big racked bucks that frequent my dreams are more of a reality. I'm obsessed with mature, large racked bucks so I try to hunt where they are. And I'm not apologizing to anyone for it. Just like the folks who don't share that obsession don't need to apologize for what they legally harvest, and their own personal reasons for hitting the woods each fall.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I buy two buck licenses so I can hunt longer at camp if I shoot a buck opening day. I want to hunt and enjoy camp but not be locked into letting a smaller questionable buck go. I may only harvest two bucks every 10 years or so. As I get older I don't eat as much venison so I let alot of deer go. I hunt the upper peninsula so my main goal is seeing deer. I enjoy just watching does. I use to hunt by Lake Superior and not see a whole lot.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
. . . my main goal is seeing deer. I enjoy just watching does.
The great thing is that one doesn't need any sort of license to do that.

Reactions: TrailMarker

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I know that some have taken 2 or more legal, fair chase, Michigan bucks for 40 straight years or more.

L & O
I remember in the late 80’s we could get 2 archery buck tags and 2 firearm buck tags. It seems that was pretty short lived. Is that what you refer to in terms of more than 2 legally?

·
Registered
19,020 Posts
I remember in the late 80’s we could get 2 archery buck tags and 2 firearm buck tags. It seems that was pretty short lived. Is that what you refer to in terms of more than 2 legally?
Mostly, yes. The 2 buck archery and 2 buck gun lasted 5 years. However, there were years in there where we could still take a camp buck and then there were the island buck seasons also. Those were a separate license.
I haven't tried to look at the history of DNR licenses, but a few hunters in those 5 years could have taken 5+ legal bucks.
If you are old enough and hunt the right area you will know hunters that have taken at least 2 legal bucks every year since the Jimmy Carter adminintration took office. 44 years I believe.

EDIT: The reason that many will remember the 4 buck era lasting much longer than 5 years is that the DNR continued to sell 4 buck licenses 7 more years, however they did add the line to the Hunting Guide that only 2 bucks were legal.

L & O

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
I'll stick this in here so @bucknasty11208 sees it. It's not mine but saw it online and thought of you :D

Thats pretty sweet. Looks old. Where'd you find that? And where would that have been? On 65 a long time ago?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thats pretty sweet. Looks old. Where'd you find that? And where would that have been? On 65 a long time ago?
It was on a FB page for Alcona County ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/427998860553125 )

Not sure where it would have been but it's about 17 miles from Mikado to Glennie. They are still guessing where it would have been on there. :D Bamfield is now Alcona dam, I'm sure your Dad will remember it being called that.

281 - 300 of 305 Posts