Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

261 - 280 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
I may have used the wrong term of enjoyment. I always enjoy my hunting time. However, if I am going to spend large amounts of time and money on a property, I would like see some benefit from it. Whether it be numbers or size. I had limited success with either even after a lot work which frustrated me. I knew I was not going to see a lot of deer, especially big deer, when I bought the property, but it was more challenging than I expected. I had a chance to change locations and I did.

D.P.

·
Registered
26,568 Posts
do you get an “enjoyment” out of planting a basket rack six that is actually smaller than the basket rack five planted last season? I don’t, I would rather see a kid or neighbor plant those deer, I have had enough! Not really a trophy hunter, but I see no point in killing small bucks that make the mistakes that makes them easy to kill.

what if it was fishing...if there was a pond full of 12” bass but there were a few 20” bass in there too...the 12” bite all the time, the 20” seldom bite, are you going to sleigh the 12” bass everyday and brag about the experience? Eat a snickers bar and tell us how great it was. Then eat another one and another one, back to back to back. It’s called the law of diminishing experience.
It is none of your business what I like to plant, plain and simple. It's ethical, legal and supported by the non-hunting pubic. The non-hunting public is not very fond of trophy hunting.

This thread started as a "what did you get" and it didn't take but a handful of posts before it was "I woulda,coulda..." and theN the people looking down their noses with "Why did you shoot that....if the laws were different,etc..."

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
do you get an “enjoyment” out of planting a basket rack six that is actually smaller than the basket rack five planted last season? I don’t, I would rather see a kid or neighbor plant those deer, I have had enough! Not really a trophy hunter, but I see no point in killing small bucks that make the mistakes that makes them easy to kill.

what if it was fishing...if there was a pond full of 12” bass but there were a few 20” bass in there too...the 12” bite all the time, the 20” seldom bite, are you going to sleigh the 12” bass everyday and brag about the experience? Eat a snickers bar and tell us how great it was. Then eat another one and another one, back to back to back. It’s called the law of diminishing experience.
I've never planted a deer. Don't have much of a green thumb.
I killed a nice plump spike this year, though!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I've never planted a deer. Don't have much of a green thumb.
I killed a nice plump spike this year, though!

Not that I care what you shoot but why is it every single dude I know that hammers the 1.5 year olds manages to shoot 'big bodied' or 'plump' 1.5 year olds? I've never seen a sparky in the wild that I would call big bodied. I'm guessing its the lack of having a legitimate scale or a lack of actually seeing big bodied deer that makes people believe it. Or both.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Not that I care what you shoot but why is it every single dude I know that hammers the 1.5 year olds manages to shoot 'big bodied' or 'plump' 1.5 year olds? I've never seen a sparky in the wild that I would call big bodied. I'm guessing its the lack of having a legitimate scale or a lack of actually seeing big bodied deer that makes people believe it. Or both.
I didn't really kill a buck at all this year, just wanted to see how long it would take for someone who doesn't care what anyone shoots to criticize what someone shoots!

·
Registered
26,568 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I didn't really kill a buck at all this year, just wanted to see how long it would take for someone who doesn't care what anyone shoots to criticize what someone shoots!

I'm not criticizing what you shoot, I'm criticizing people that won't face reality. Which apparently doesn't seem to bother you.

·
Registered
26,568 Posts
I'm not criticizing what you shoot, I'm criticizing people that won't face reality. Which apparently doesn't seem to bother you.
That looks untrue. You start out saying that's not what you're doing but it sure looks like what you proceed to do.

·
Registered
18,531 Posts
Oh no!
I thought one of them was a good bodied spike this year. Much better skeletal frame than the other. Maybe I'll see him again next season...
Forced to guess , he was born early and slightly distant in some good soil from where watched.
The other was runtish. As were his spikes.
Should be identifiable in the future. Straight up and good gnarly bases on the runt , vs the sled shape of the others antlers.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
That looks untrue. You start out saying that's not what you're doing but it sure looks like what you proceed to
If a guy shoots a 1.5 year old basket rack 8 and posts pics, ill tell him congrats. If a guy posts a 1.5 year old basket rack 8 and says it scores 150" and weighs 200 dressed, when it clearly doesn't, I will criticize. There is a difference there that apparently you don't see. Oh well, I wont lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
26,568 Posts
If a guy shoots a 1.5 year old basket rack 8 and posts pics, ill tell him congrats. If a guy posts a 1.5 year old basket rack 8 and says it scores 150" and weighs 200 dressed, when it clearly doesn't, I will criticize. There is a difference there that apparently you don't see. Oh well, I wont lose any sleep over it.
Saying the word "big" doesn't say it's 150" and 200 lbs. That's something you implied and associated with that word. Exacting measurements didn't come about until the above quoted post.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
1.5 is big compared to a fawn?

261 - 280 of 305 Posts