Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

241 - 260 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Maybe in some areas, but non farm country gladwin
Is that where you hunt, non farm country Gladwin? :rolleyes: You might not want to go further north, it's gets tougher to grow em big. Personally, I take into account where a buck is from. I'm way more impressed with the same size NLP buck than SLP.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Is that where you hunt, non farm country Gladwin? :rolleyes: You might not want to go further north, it's gets tougher to grow em big. Personally, I take into account where a buck is from. I'm way more impressed with the same size NLP buck than SLP.
Its an option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have both tags, waiting for the over 170 buck. Saw one but 60 yards out making me consider the crossbow thing for rut. I did finish a nine point, 140 inch and gave back to the neighbor who drew first blood. My own theory is I only shooting bucks I will mount and shoot doe for meat(taste better). my wife can't wait for another mount in the house.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I used to own a nice piece of property right in the corner of Gladwin, Clare & Roscommon counties. I loved the property for the big woods feel, the fact I had bears cruise through regularly, great turkey hunting and quite a few grouse. I put a ton of time into that place with food plots and TSI. Rarely would I get a buck over 110 inches on camera.

I think there were a couple issues was that the deer never got any age. Most of my neighbors shot the first buck they saw and were hell on the does even though the area wouldn't support it. Second, quality of food. My food plots could not make up for the fact there was no ag for miles. I guess there may also be a difference in minerals in the soil. That is an overlooked factor in my opinion. I finally sold the place,

Now I am in Calhoun county and am seeing the type of deer I like to hunt. This year however I was very picky because of what I was seeing and never ended up letting an arrow go. There are a few big does that better keep their heads down early next year. I am after them before they know they are being hunted.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
I used to own a nice piece of property right in the corner of Gladwin, Clare & Roscommon counties. I loved the property for the big woods feel, the fact I had bears cruise through regularly, great turkey hunting and quite a few grouse. I put a ton of time into that place with food plots and TSI. Rarely would I get a buck over 110 inches on camera.

I think there were a couple issues was that the deer never got any age. Most of my neighbors shot the first buck they saw and were hell on the does even though the area wouldn't support it. Second, quality of food. My food plots could not make up for the fact there was no ag for miles. I guess there may also be a difference in minerals in the soil. That is an overlooked factor in my opinion. I finally sold the place,

Now I am in Calhoun county and am seeing the type of deer I like to hunt. This year however I was very picky because of what I was seeing and never ended up letting an arrow go. There are a few big does that better keep their heads down early next year. I am after them before they know they are being hunted.
Good post old shortstop. And quite the concept to pick up everything and move your hunting location to a place where you could actually enjoy and hunt deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
26,561 Posts
Good post old shortstop. And quite the concept to pick up everything and move your hunting location to a place where you could actually enjoy and hunt deer.
Enjoyment starts at 120"?

I am thankful that mine doesn't require a tape measure

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I’ve shot 2 bucks each of the last 2 seasons. 3 of the 4 were on public land and all 3 of those were well after November 15th. 1 buck tag would surely reduce the amount of time I spend in the woods during the late season.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts

Dude you have a really bad habit of jumping the gun. Can you please point out to me where I mentioned 120”?? I’ll be waiting. I mentioned I liked Old Shortstop decision to hunt deer where’s there’s actual deer. That was it, no more. Is everything a conflict with you?? It’s Friday, deep breaths, relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Yes I shot 2 bucks this year on my own property.

I was purposely vague, as I don't think I need to justify myself, but I will anyway. We eat 1.5 deer per year on the average, and I am trying to build up the herd in my neighborhood, so I prefer to leave the does alone. So I shoot bucks, one one year, two the next.

And as far as buck age structure, we typically identify 2 dozen bucks or more on my property. We average 4 bucks per year. I think plenty of them make it to the next age bracket. One thing that seems to be overlooked by everyone that wants people to only shoot older bucks - even if they are there, they are not easy to hunt. So you guys that are good at, good for you, but elmer fudds like me would find it frustrating to be spending so much time hunting for ghosts.

I do shoot what I consider to be decent bucks, and occasionally someone in my camp crosses paths with one of the patriarchs, but not often, even though they are there.

My freezer is full and my local herd is healthy. What else do you want from me?

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
999 Posts

do you get an “enjoyment” out of planting a basket rack six that is actually smaller than the basket rack five planted last season? I don’t, I would rather see a kid or neighbor plant those deer, I have had enough! Not really a trophy hunter, but I see no point in killing small bucks that make the mistakes that makes them easy to kill.

what if it was fishing...if there was a pond full of 12” bass but there were a few 20” bass in there too...the 12” bite all the time, the 20” seldom bite, are you going to sleigh the 12” bass everyday and brag about the experience? Eat a snickers bar and tell us how great it was. Then eat another one and another one, back to back to back. It’s called the law of diminishing experience.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I disagree. I have personally seen a couple that would. Had one killed two years ago down the road that went 140" ten point. Have trail cam pics of a couple also that are over. But this is in a heavy ag small part of the county, have no idea what the rest of the county is capable of.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Went buckless this year. Didn't see anything big. Passed a couple nice bucks with potential. For me enjoyment does begin at 120" but I will not tell anyone else what to shoot because I used to be the biggest spike and forkhorn killer you ever saw when I was younger. I have only taken three bucks over the past eight years but they were all big ones, cause that's what makes me tick.

241 - 260 of 305 Posts