Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

201 - 220 of 305 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
It's your pure talent in the deer woods, if anyone could make it work we all know it would be you. :bowdown:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Two bucks, Montcalm and NE Kent.
I typically have a few in mind from cams and hold out for largest available.
One during archery and one firearm to keep hunting.
I have tagged two many years and typically a few doe yearly

·
Registered
990 Posts
View attachment 632683 View attachment 632681 I killed a 7pt during archery season and a 9pt during muzzleloader season. Kalamazoo county,zone 3, private land. Although I probably can do it most years this is only the second time in 30 years where I've done it. But I'm selective. View attachment 632679
I took a look at your profile, and that is quite a buck on your page! But, in this case, with this year's smaller bucks, when you say you are selective, do you mean it in the sense that you selected one before you shot it? If you're meat hunting, you might as well just shoot a button buck.

To explain myself better, year in and year out that I have tried or succeeded in getting 2 bucks...my focus now (which isn't from a meat hunting perspective) would be to only shoot 1 or 2 bucks, only if they are "good bucks" This is simply because there is no need for any more euro mounts, or baskets of basket racks laying around. For that reason (clutter), and because the properties I hunt have serious issues with buck to doe ratios, I choose to only try to shoot something bigger than I have, and let the rest walk. I do acknowledge that if I was a meat hunter, I would have a different strategy, and I have had that strategy in years past, because I started out as a meat hunter, killing all sorts 1.5 year old deer and who knows how many button bucks over the years. Outside of the processing times/cost, I prefer yearling deer, they taste the best.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I took a look at your profile, and that is quite a buck on your page! But, in this case, with this year's smaller bucks, when you say you are selective, do you mean it in the sense that you selected one before you shot it? If you're meat hunting, you might as well just shoot a button buck.

To explain myself better, year in and year out that I have tried or succeeded in getting 2 bucks...my focus now (which isn't from a meat hunting perspective) would be to only shoot 1 or 2 bucks, only if they are "good bucks" This is simply because there is no need for any more euro mounts, or baskets of basket racks laying around. For that reason (clutter), and because the properties I hunt have serious issues with buck to doe ratios, I choose to only try to shoot something bigger than I have, and let the rest walk. I do acknowledge that if I was a meat hunter, I would have a different strategy, and I have had that strategy in years past, because I started out as a meat hunter, killing all sorts 1.5 year old deer and who knows how many button bucks over the years. Outside of the processing times/cost, I prefer yearling deer, they taste the best.
Ah I try to kill any buck 3 1/2 year old or older. I actually made a mistake shooting the 7pt cause after I killed him I realized he was only 2 1/2 and my hunting partners gave me a little crap because they passed him several times. But that was the first time I had seen him and had no pictures of him. Anyway it was a hunt where I didn't have time to glass him or age him and had to make a quick decision to shoot or not and I shot. The 9 pt I had pictures of and once I glassed him and realized which buck it was that was a no brainier for me. As far as meat hunting I kill mature doe during muzzleloader season if I need more meat. My spots killing doe is easy to do. So when I say I'm selective I mean I want to kill a buck 3 1/2 or older. I don't care about score or killing one bigger than the last one. I would prefer to have pictures of them too so I can identify which buck it is too but that doesn't always happen, especially during the rut. Hope I answered your question.

·
Registered
26,525 Posts
No. I have only done it twice, the last being 2014 I believe. I could have pretty much every year but enjoy hunting for bucks in every season as long as I can so I pass many.
You should go more :D

Reactions: bucknasty11208

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I’ve never shot two bucks in a season. I ave a buck every 4-5 years... but i usually fill tags on does

·
Registered
663 Posts
View attachment 632683 View attachment 632681 I killed a 7pt during archery season and a 9pt during muzzleloader season. Kalamazoo county,zone 3, private land. Although I probably can do it most years this is only the second time in 30 years where I've done it. But I'm selective. View attachment 632679
Ah I try to kill any buck 3 1/2 year old or older. I actually made a mistake shooting the 7pt cause after I killed him I realized he was only 2 1/2 and my hunting partners gave me a little crap because they passed him several times. But that was the first time I had seen him and had no pictures of him. Anyway it was a hunt where I didn't have time to glass him or age him and had to make a quick decision to shoot or not and I shot. The 9 pt I had pictures of and once I glassed him and realized which buck it was that was a no brainier for me. As far as meat hunting I kill mature doe during muzzleloader season if I need more meat. My spots killing doe is easy to do. So when I say I'm selective I mean I want to kill a buck 3 1/2 or older. I don't care about score or killing one bigger than the last one. I would prefer to have pictures of them too so I can identify which buck it is too but that doesn't always happen, especially during the rut. Hope I answered your question.
They both look like they could be 2.5 yr olds IMO . Just curious as to what you saw in the gun buck to think 3.5 ?

201 - 220 of 305 Posts