Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone had checked any previously fishable lakes today after the rain. I have a trip planned to Jackson area tomorrow

Thanks
Chef Bob

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I woke up this morning and all the snow in my front yard melted and puddled into what looked like a pond, when I returned from class it was all froze up. It is frigid outside, If the ice survived, by tomorrow it will probably be thicker than ever.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I passed wolverine lake in oakland county and it still had ice.

I drove by Wolverine lake too and from the Benstein road side it was open in the middle, but it has been open in that area all year so far. I will be checking Union and middle straights on the way home tonight, but over the weekend both lakes looked locked from the main road. I will post tomorrow with some results but boy is it windy out here.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Wondering if anyone had checked any previously fishable lakes today after the rain. I have a trip planned to Jackson area tomorrow

Thanks
Chef Bob
i think you will be alright ! on gillettes sun night and 7.5 " with an inch of water on top - should be 8.5 - atleast by tues

·
Registered
63 Posts
Up in traverse city the rain helped a ton! There was about a foot of snow on all the lakes and it wasn't helping the freezing process. After the rain it made the lakes so much more solid because today it was 9 outside. Went fishing today on spider lake and took about 30 crappie

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I drove by Wolverine lake too and from the Benstein road side it was open in the middle, but it has been open in that area all year so far. I will be checking Union and middle straights on the way home tonight, but over the weekend both lakes looked locked from the main road. I will post tomorrow with some results but boy is it windy out here.
I passed it by the dam and it was all locked up in there its probably because theres way less wind there. But im suprised the west end hasnt locked up.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I passed it by the dam and it was all locked up in there its probably because theres way less wind there. But im suprised the west end hasnt locked up.[/quote

I've been checking the ice there(on the west side) every other day and ya it is either the wind that is keeping that end of the lake open or the 40 swans that are in the water non-stop over there :lol:
I suspect that part of the lake will be locked within the next week or so but I'll post an update soon.

Has anyone seen Union lake during the day lately??? I drove by last night and it looked frozen over again-it was pretty dark around 7:00 ,so It might have just been my eyes playing tricks on me.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I passed it by the dam and it was all locked up in there its probably because theres way less wind there. But im suprised the west end hasnt locked up.[/quote

I've been checking the ice there(on the west side) every other day and ya it is either the wind that is keeping that end of the lake open or the 40 swans that are in the water non-stop over there :lol:
I suspect that part of the lake will be locked within the next week or so but I'll post an update soon.

Has anyone seen Union lake during the day lately??? I drove by last night and it looked frozen over again-it was pretty dark around 7:00 ,so It might have just been my eyes playing tricks on me.
They should give out swan tags its sad how many swans are out there and they do it every year. I think next time i go out there i am going to accidently find roman candles in my tackle box:lol:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Passed by Union lake today and the whole bay where the launch is frozen over. It looked like there was open water out past the point that stick out towards the middle. Also the southern bay where the marina is looked to be locked up as far as I could see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts