Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't keep up on this stuff like I used to. Remember reading something about they were going to stop planting Walleyes in certain SLP inland waters.
I was reading through stocking records and if they are up to date it does appear there has been very little stocking of Walleyes in SLP inland lakes since 2018.
Is that accurate?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I don't keep up on this stuff like I used to. Remember reading something about they were going to stop planting Walleyes in certain SLP inland waters.
I was reading through stocking records and if they are up to date it does appear there has been very little stocking of Walleyes in SLP inland lakes since 2018.
Is that accurate?
They stopped planting lakes that had very little or no natural reproduction. I think that is what this new inland walleye plan is about. Studying what lakes the walleye can eventually naturally sustain them selves in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Apparently that means nearly every in land lake in the SLP.
You’d think so but walleye need structure and room to roam. It failed at my in-laws private lake they live on. 120-130 acre lake I think. Try going on to Dnr’s fish stock data base and type in county’s close to you and search walleye.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,426 Posts
Last season there was no egg takes from CV19 goofing up many things.
There's been a move to plant more fall fingerlings in lakes that have historically lower than desired survival rates the past few years also.
They typically plant the same waters every other year and one body near me has almost nothing left to offer because it was supposed to be on last year's schedule and got none and probably won't until next year unless they deviate from usual practices.
Little to no reproduction according to the information I went over in the draft on that water.
I think it was just over 70 pages, so it's not easily glossed over unless you're reading North of 800 WPM.
With SF the standard planting rate was 50/acre and I don't recall verbiage about NOT planting inland lakes anymore.
Lets try to stick with facts opposed to conjecture.
There's several DNR officials here and you can message them for questions if needed.

Some bodies had been stopped at some point and some had been restarted also. Some even have received adults to see if they're able to reproduce when there wasn't planting before.

After this past year, expect that things will not be back to normal for awhile and it generally takes 3-4 seasons for them to attain legal size for C&K.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
It's really comical the amount they plant in some lakes . Years back i checked their list and one lake in the UP received 10 fingerling walleyes .Given the survival rate i assume none made it their first year .Other lakes got very few also .Walleye fry have a dismal survival rate so even a few thousand have little effect on a lake .

·
Registered
13,871 Posts
I don't know about the DNR's decisions about stocking Walleyes. But there is a real interesting video in this link, that shows migration patterns for tagged Walleyes @ lake Erie. Some of these fish literally transverse the entire lake - every year. There aren't any inland lakes in MI the size of Lake Erie. Walleyes like large, shallow, relatively flat featureless bodies of water. Saginaw Bay, Lake Erie, Lake St Clair.........all large shallow flat bodies of water.
Differing movement patterns of walleye spawning stocks in Lake Erie. - YouTube

·
Super Moderator
16,426 Posts
They have been known to go through the locks from there to Lake Michigan and further.
The program is not about Great Lakes walleye. Mark Martin has caught walleye from the East side in the Muskegon channel before. Was published in the walleye insider.

Reactions: Erik

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I noticed they planted a whole bunch in Marrow pond, which is part of the Kalamazoo river.
I remember checking out Marrow pond several years ago cause I had read they put a lot of Walleyes in there. I wasn't impressed with the body of water. The bottom was soft grey muck. Very shallow. And even if you catch one in there the advisories say no consumption.
Can't quite figure out the purpose of releasing over a million Walleyes into a water way that has a zero consumption advisory.

·
Super Moderator
16,426 Posts
Yes he does!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Is that accurate?
I talked to the DNR last fall. They were doing temperature profiles of Oakland county lakes. They told me that due to climate warming some lakes are warming up too much to plant walleye. Smaller shallower lakes would probably not get new stocking (to be determined).

·
Registered
14,844 Posts
Watch michigan out of doors from this week, it doesn't say what lakes but they did a walleye egg take and they're all for inland lakes, you can also get ahold of M.Tonello on this site.His name is Mark and he does a great job.
I watched that yesterday. Beautiful walleyes in that river.

·
Registered
14,844 Posts
My nephew and I were there fishing steel years ago and the DNR were shocking walleye for the egg take, we stopped fishing to watch and some were absolute HOGS!
I can only imagine. I remember how Hurons eyes were on a diet of ale's. Mark Martin used to pull em out of Michigan.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is that accurate?
Here is what a MDNR Fisheries Coordinator told me several weeks ago:

"Walleye stocking in 2020 was another casualty of COVID. The Governor closed offices and directed state workers to Work-at-Home status in middle of March last year – which is the exact time we would normally have been out collecting walleye eggs from the Tittabawasee and Muskegon rivers. In addition to walleye, the work restrictions eliminated the muskellunge and steelhead egg-takes too. By last fall, we were able to modify our work plans and implement additional safety measure to be able to conduct our salmon egg takes.
At this point, we remain in work-at-home status, but have been given approval to conduct necessary field work and egg-takes. So based on what we know right now – we anticipate all egg-takes to resume in 2021. The good news is that because walleye is a longer-lived species, skipping one year of stocking should not have a significant impact on the fishery."

Muskegon River egg-take was in full tilt this spring as shown recently on Michigan Outdoors TV.

·
Super Moderator
16,426 Posts
I won't say anything about when that was recorded or that I've spoken to a few DNR fisheries people...
It's been a lumpy year is what I will say.
We will move forward and things will recover.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
They're definitely reevaluating how they stock and what is most effective. The slp doesn't have a ton of good walleye water outside of river, that's just the way it is. If it makes you feel better your complaints are similar to what people say in southern Minnesota and Wisconsin. I'd love to see them stop putting trout in Gull and switch to walleye but that isn't going to happen for a lot of reasons.

If I remember right they dropped 50 million walleye fry in below Morrow Dam and figured they would spread all the way down to Allegan. We'll never know how well that worked because STS Hydro killed the river. I think they did the same near Marshall and that will have a testable result. Fry are way cheaper than fingerlings.

They typically plant the same waters every other year and one body near me has almost nothing left to offer because it was supposed to be on last year's schedule and got none and probably won't until next year unless they deviate from usual practices.
Yeah, and that says something about the cost of put and take vs. sustained fisheries and maybe about the limits we currently have. I'm sure you remember the 3-4 year period they had 12 years ago when they couldn't plant at all because of disease in the hatcheries. Lots of lakes, even northern ones with some nat repo, got fished out and took 5 years to recover after stocking was resumed. It was only 2016 or so that good caches of 15"+ started to ramp back up for me. I'm a broken record on this but I'd rather catch fish than keep them. If I'm desperate for a meal I'll go to a walleye factory like Erie. Inland I'm mostly looking for the challenge of locating fish where the habitat is limited and there aren't schools of a thousand roaming the flats.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I don't know about the DNR's decisions about stocking Walleyes. But there is a real interesting video in this link, that shows migration patterns for tagged Walleyes @ lake Erie. Some of these fish literally transverse the entire lake - every year. There aren't any inland lakes in MI the size of Lake Erie. Walleyes like large, shallow, relatively flat featureless bodies of water. Saginaw Bay, Lake Erie, Lake St Clair.........all large shallow flat bodies of water.
Differing movement patterns of walleye spawning stocks in Lake Erie. - YouTube
True, but walleye also do good in "regular" type lakes. I used to live in NE Ohio (and have family that still does). Mosquito and Pymatuning both have very good walleye populations-and they don't stock them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts