Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have shot two birds the one on the left 2006 and right is 2007 look at some of the color differnce both turkeys where shot at the same spot

·
Registered
936 Posts
i've seen the same differences on birds shot off the same property where i hunt. and I believe it to be the difference in age. I think the one on the right is a little older than the one on the left. but idk??

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
I always put my tails, spread out, in the freezer or in a dry, cool area (not in the house) for several months, at the same time the tail stubs are coated in a thick layer of borax or kosher salt.

I know too many people who got a little too eager to put their tail mounts up and had either a wall crawling with maggots, fun, or a house full of little tiny moths that mated and had more maggots. Fun.

Nice birds.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
never done one myself, just curious, how hard are they to do? i see the kits in some stores, but what steps are taken? how long does it take? just curious and would like to do one for myself.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Not hard at all, Look in my gallery and you will see mine from last year...even euro mounted it:lol:.....This years is in the garage with 20 mule borax on it drying out.....I made the wood with some old rough sawn I had left over, and hot glued it all together wasn't hard at all....just have to get all the tail feathers set on smoe cardboard before they hardin up.....need any help let me know.....Mack........Both nice birds by the way

·
Registered
622 Posts
Looks good, I will pm ya when I am ready for you to do mine!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Looks good. I have five fans on a sheet of plywood drying in my garage. Like Linda I let dry with the borax for some time before applying the wood piece.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i remove all the meat and fat wire wheel works great be carefully, borox it, epoxy all around never had that happen the first ones in the house this one stays in the garage

Linda G. said:
I always put my tails, spread out, in the freezer or in a dry, cool area (not in the house) for several months, at the same time the tail stubs are coated in a thick layer of borax or kosher salt.

I know too many people who got a little too eager to put their tail mounts up and had either a wall crawling with maggots, fun, or a house full of little tiny moths that mated and had more maggots. Fun.

Nice birds.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bond the whole thing together say if i missed anything it is sealed in side the epoxy but i make sure the fat and the meat is all gone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts