Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read in the new American Hunter that Michigan this year dropped the requirement that handguns had to be taken back for a "safety inspection" after purchase, and that the law was signed by the gov.? Is this true? The MSP website still lists the requirement for a safety inspection.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Hmm first I heard of that, I would call the county office I lived in to verify.
This has been talked about in Michigan gun clubs, on Michigan based gun message boards, on eMail lists, mentioned in the newspapers and in magazines for 2 plus years. It is happening. Check with the Michigan Gun Owners msg board.

For the most part the citizens of this state who worked to have this law changed will know more than the county sheriff or the towns police chief.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
You still have to get one of the forms back to your local police department to be recorded so I really don't see how this changes anything that much. You just don't have to physically take the pistol with you. The "safety inspection" was nothing more than a record of the serial number with the rest of the normal paperwork.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not sure what the actual purchase permit looks like, but the link is just for the "sales record".

·
Premium Member
896 Posts

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
That form is to be used by people with a "Concealed Pistol License" (CPL). The "purchase permit" must still be picked up locally at the police station.
Thats What I thought. Been so long since I used a purchase permit, I had forgotten what they looked like.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
If you define registration as law enforcement keeping a permanent record of every handgun you have ever purchased; make, model, caliber, serial nu8mber, seller name, purchasers name and adddress, etc, then the purchase permit and safety inspection can be considered state mandated gun redistration for handguns.

The new rules do not change this, they simply place the burden of collecting the information on the dealer, rather than on making a trip back to the local sherriff's office. You still have to send the information card back to the sheriff's office.

This does not seem like a big deal to many of us here in Michigan , because we have been living with it for a long time and have become used to it as being the norm. In most other state's, however, handguns aren't treated any differently than long guns are here. To people from other states, the way we treat handgun purchases is pretty draconian.

-na

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
If you define registration as law enforcement keeping a permanent record of every handgun you have ever purchased; make, model, caliber, serial nu8mber, seller name, purchasers name and adddress, etc, then the purchase permit and safety inspection can be considered state mandated gun redistration for handguns.

The new rules do not change this, they simply place the burden of collecting the information on the dealer, rather than on making a trip back to the local sherriff's office. You still have to send the information card back to the sheriff's office.

This does not seem like a big deal to many of us here in Michigan , because we have been living with it for a long time and have become used to it as being the norm. In most other state's, however, handguns aren't treated any differently than long guns are here. To people from other states, the way we treat handgun purchases is pretty draconian.

-na
Very good point.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
When the legislation was going thru Lansing I posted on several sites requesting 'sportsmen', hunters, and shooters to contact elected persons to do away with REGISTRATION. All I seemed to get was arguments that MI dont have REGISTRATION.

For those that dont know or believe it just visit the MSP site and see what they call it.

Hitler loved registration. What has it ever solved?? REGISTRATION started out as a racist thing in MI as did the carrying of handguns and the licensing of carriers.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
I never really minded going back to the County to register/inspect my weapon. It sort of let you know that the pistol isn't a toy and if you screw up, you're going to jail! 21 years old to get a purchasing permit and legal drinking age, its a fail safe to me.

Either way people kill people, not guns.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts