Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Cabela's tonight to buy two setups for my first Salmon fishing trip. The girlfriend and I want to take a trip somewhere up north to fish offshore in three weeks. I took some notes from the site and talked to people at the store. Take a look at the pic and let me know if I need to return anything or pick up something else. The poles are 8'6" since you can't tell in the pic. I'm used to the little 5'6" poles... these things are LONG! Any other advise is welcome... Thanks in advance.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/533/6377Salmon_Gear-med.jpg?5963

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
if your fishing off shore or piers, you might want to pick up some J13 jointed rapalas, husky jerks, size 14 and some 4 1/2 inch long A bombers. They will catch kings, browns, steelies, and walleyes all of which will be possible at most places on the great lakes in three weeks.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
In my opinion, you got the right size reels. If you have more money to spend though, you might want to go with a better model if you plan on doing much salmon fishing. Keep the front drag, but I'd go with a Sedona at the least; a Sahara would be better. (The reels you have should be OK to get you into it, but the drags may be strained if you hook into a big one.)

I agree with Jeremy about the lures. I prefer shallower deep-diving body baits, the size 5 Barramundi Mauler being a favorite. I'd return a couple of the flatfish and get some body baits instead. (I've been wrong before though - I never have gotten anything on flatfish.)

Everybody knows my tendencies toward line by now, but I'd go with Yo-Zuri 10 pound Hybrid. It breaks at a lot greater strength than the rated strength, isn't affected by the sun, and doesn't dry out like traditional mono. I've used it for over 2 years on one of my reels and am still using the same line- just like the day I put it on. Only down-side is that when it tangles, it TANGLES. It also costs a bit more than regular line, but has been coming down.

The 8'6" rods may seem long now, but once you get used to them, the 5'6" rods will feel like stubs. :) I have a 10'6" light action rod that I use for everything but salmon. When I went back to my 9' rod this fall, it felt like I was missing the top half of the rod! :eek: :D

Best of luck to ya!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
A couple of things I forgot to mention that will come in very handy.

A cheap camera with no film in works perfectly to charge up the white & green glow cleo that I saw in your pic.

Also light-related, if you're planning on fishing anytime before/near/after dark, a powerful flashlight/spotlight becomes invaluable.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
A landing net appropriate for the type of fishing that you will be doing. I wouldn't want to have to rely on other people, their availibility, and their skill level in netting fish....

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Those reels you bought...if your fishing the pier, expect them to only last about 50 fish. I went through 2 in 2 years. They both last about 80-90 fish between fishing the pier and fishing the river. In the rivers, the fish are a little more sluggish then the fish out in the lake. They will pull out line until they feel like stopping. Had a little 7 lb male pull out 150 yds this year. I have to agree with jeremy on a lure. The fire tiger rapala are expensive, but are worth every dollar. Just make sure your knots are tied well. Thats all I can think of now. Let us know how you do. Your fishing the river right??

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the river...what river. I have no idea exactly where we are going yet. I am not from the area. I have another post asking for help on that but here would be fine. Thanks for all your help so far. I'm going back to Cabela's tonight to exchange some stuff.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
mschmidt,
May I suggest fishing a river then. by the time you get out there, most fish are going to be on the road to there death bed or are already dead. There will be sone fresh fish around. Most of the river should have fish though. Just get out a map and look to where you want to go or ask.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ruler chimed: I prefer shallower deep-diving body baits

What exactly is a SHALLOW, but DEEP DIVING body bait....:) :) Yer not a politician are you Ruler??:D :D

Ron

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Originally posted by ronf
Ruler chimed: I prefer shallower deep-diving body baits

What exactly is a SHALLOW, but DEEP DIVING body bait....:) :) Yer not a politician are you Ruler??:D :D
Heh, nope- not a politician. However, read what I wrote - shallower deep-diving body baits. Things like Barramundi Maulers (favorite pier lure) and saltwater rapala magnums. Compare these to the XPS deep lures and deep thundersticks and you can see what I mean by 'shallower' deep-diving body baits.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear skien is the hot bait now... how would I go about hooking this up. I heard use a three way with one end having a sinker (what size) and the other with a leader and hook
(what size again)? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I went back and returned some of the stuff as you guys said. I picked up about 6 body baits. I think I got the J-13 Firetiger but they are not as bright as the firetiger I'm used too. they have the same pattern but use a dark green instead oh the lime color. I will post a pic when I get home from work. Also, I headed up there on this Friday and will sat until monday... I couldn't wait for my first Salmon experience. I think I am ready. I have all the gear above plus, 6ft net, lantern, flashlight, camera... Any other advise is welcome.

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
Don't be afraid to fish in the dark and low light hours of sunrise-sunset. Most fish come in to the shallow waters to feed and then generally disperse during the daylight hours.

I'd snell a #4 egg hook leaving the loop large enough to cinch a golf ball sized chunk of skein. Then a 1-2 oz pyramid sinker free sliding on your main line stopped by a barrel swivel, leader, hook. Another good option for the skein is on a bobber. If you cannot snell a #6 treble will hold the skein better than a single.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
The J-13's you reference as firetiger are actually Perch color. The F-13 you have to the visual left side is firetiger. Perch color can be effective in clearer water during the daytime. I find firetiger works best in more stained water, like river mouths. The clown J-13(red head/chartreuse back) is another good producer.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
looks good to me, now go get some fish!:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will Mullin's up there in Lexington have any of these Firetiger J-13's available? Also, will they have fresh spawn? eggs, or whatever there called? Any other tips before we head off?

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Mullin's had some Firetiger J-13's a few weeks ago

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Mike also carries spawn. There is also a Gander Mountain in Port Huron for those last minute items.

Joe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts