Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any one hit Erie on Saturday? Either Breast Bay of Turtle Island area. I know some of you were going to give it a try, just wondering if you made it.

I still plan on being out there on Monday and Tuesday. I know they are calling for rain, but if the wind is OK, I can live with rain. That's why I paid a million dollars for a boat with a cover:D

Captain Jay

·
Registered
882 Posts
I fished Lake Erie friday afternoon and saturday till 3pm and we caught 30 walleye. We fished down in Ohio though out of Port Clinton.
We caught all of our fish on jig n minnows on the reefs out there. No big ones but a lot of fun. The fish were all in the 18"-25" range. Our best color jigs were a purple hair jig or a watermelon glo fireball jig. The majority of the fish that we caught were on Locust reef anywhere from 12-19 fow.

Good Fishing

Tim

·
Registered
84 Posts
Saturday, about noon, I spoke to two gentlemen who were pulling their boat out at the Monroe River Raisin (Hellenburg Park) boat launch. They advised that they had been fishing the Breast Bay area, just north of the River channel, since daybreak and had caught thier limits.

I glanced in their cooler and all the walleye looked to be around 16"-18". I noticed they had crawler harnesses on their poles. I asked about depth, but they didn't have any electrics on the boat.

·
Registered
661 Posts
A friend of mine fished erie yesterday (sat), here's his report......

Finally get to post a good fishing report. Put in at Bolles Harbor at 8:00 A.M. this morning. Trolled south from Toledo Beach to just south of Luna Pier. The water was surprisely clear even though it rained almost all week on and off.We went 7 for 10 trolling jointed bombers with a 3/8oz. rubbercore sinker pinched 5ft above the lure. Most fish came 70ft behind boards trolling 1.5 mph.The best depth was between 14 and 16 feet. One master angler was 30 1/2 inches and 10.40lbs on a registered scale at the deli in town. The rest were real nice fish from 4 to 6 lbs. Water temp ranged from 38 degrees to a high of 40 degrees. One fish that we lost threw the hook about 20ft from the net and it looked as big or bigger than our biggest fish. Oh well, had to fish Mich. waters before it closes next week. I really like that spot real early in the year if you can get out but now that they closed Lake Erie in Mich. waters from April 1st till June 1st I will have to wait till next year. I will have to shoot over to Ohio waters next weekend and try the reefs,but we sure miss out on some great fishing here on our side of the pond. Good luck to all and be safe while we're pursuing our favorite pastime.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I fished Luna Pier's shoreline at the pier Friday and Saturday mornings, not too much luck personally but some fishing was going on there. Friday morning had a couple bites and that was it, but a fella at the end of the pier was catching bulllhead and channel cats left and right. One channel had to be a ten pounder and another had to be about fifteen pounds. Others were one or two pounds, enough for a nice fat sandwich with some fries. Saturday caught a 2 to 2 1/2 sheephead, but that was it. A guy there caught two or three sheephead and a bullhead while I was there, he was still there with his son when I left so I don't know what they caught after that. Hope to do some fishing there and a couple other spots before the 2003 license runs up on the 31st (Wednesday). Might as well get my money's worth.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Looking to do some fishing actually. Was gonna see about hitting a couple different spots, including Luna Pier. Not sure what time of heading out.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
We fished Brest Bay out of Sterling Saturday. Late morning. Got a slow start because my buddy was late, then got halfway there and realized my sonar was sitting in the basement. Got on the water around 10am. Trolled bombers and raps in 10' out to the park beach. Caught a 19" smallie on a Rapala SSR in metallic blue and silver, and a 22" eye off a rainbow bomber. Caught the eye around 11:30 as we pulled up lines. Marked a few fish in the area, and a good amount of bait. Probably could have pulled a few more if we had stayed.

Given that it was our maiden voyage for the year was a good trip. Motor started right up, no leadks, and electronics worked well. Catching fish was a bonus.

·
Premium Member
10,562 Posts
I did not make it, but a buddy did. They got 2 hogs, 9 and 12 lbs, and quite a few small fish <20" trolling stickbaits all day Saturday launching from Monroe.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I was in Brest Bay out of Sterling SP, fished from 8:00 AM to noon. Had 1 fish on briefly and that was it. Mostly trolled north along the shore in 13 FOW.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
rockinmichigan, I took 275 south to the second exit past where 275 and 75 meet. I think its Dixie. Take that east and the entrance is on the right. The entrance is directly across the street from a car wash.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I made it out Sunday afternoon from 2 to 7. Fished Luna Pier and Toledo Beach, and then Breast Bay, with nothing caught.

We tried everything, in every color. We also marked alot of bait fish in Breast Bay, but no big ones. We were out in 18 fow though. Maybe we should have gone shallower?? Oh well. The boat ran great and all equipment is working well. That's all I really wanted.

Next week I have 3 days off, and i will be jigging near turtle island.

Captain Jay

·
Registered
51 Posts
i went out to day and got rained out the water is up to 44 deg. marked alot of fish and had a couple short strikes but no fish. will try again later in the week.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Walleyeguy, supposed to rain all week and into the weekend I heard yesterday. Have had an east or northeast wind too so that sucks. I don't particularly like to try it with an east wind unless I'm in the river. Where abouts were you fishing?

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
hey rockin....if you are taking I-75 north, get off at exit 15 which is dixie hwy and turn right. there is a party store right before the entrance to sterling state park. i know you like to catch all species of fish, so your opportunities are pretty wide open. there are many places to shore fish.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I STARTED IN BREST BAY AND WORKED MY WAY TO OVER TO THE RASIN RIVER AND THEN BACK TO THE STATE PART TO DRY OFF. I TAKING A COUPLE OF MY BUDDIES TO THE DETROIT RIVER ON SUNDAY TO DO SOME JIGGING. HOPEFULLY WE GET INTO THE FISH I WOULD HATE TO TAKE THEM OUT AND ZERO.

·
Registered
931 Posts
jstfish48162, thanks for the directions. I will be heading up 75 to get there when I do. Maybe try and get out there sometime in the next couple days or so. Love all species and love to shorefish, so will definately have to make it out there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts