Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious how many of you use Diamond Sporting Dog Formula, and how it compares to ProPlan? I've been using it for a little while now and it seems okay, but I just here so much about ProPlan. I was just curious what you guys thought. I know that the price difference is pretty significant, $16 50lb Diamond/$20 something for a 20lb ProPlan. I might be off a little on the ProPlan figure but I know it's a little bit more.

Tyler

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Tyler,

Well, in light of the recall on Diamond that was contaiminated with aflatoxin (toxic mold) and has killed hundreds of dogs, you just might want to consider another brand..............

Rooster has just posted the latest on Diamond a couple of threads back. :mad:

NB

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW! :yikes: :yikes:

I guess I missed that post! :dizzy:

I'd better cut off the supply, especially since there might not be symptoms right away.

Tyler

·
Registered
157 Posts
if you turn your weight circles off your bags to your local pheasants forever chapter purina will donate money for habitat restoration in your area.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
big no no said:
if you turn your weight circles off your bags to your local pheasants forever chapter purina will donate money for habitat restoration in your area.
Habitat restoration on land with access to regular hunters, or just more improvements for the private land owner ?

G

·
joesetter said:
WOW! :yikes: :yikes:

I guess I missed that post! :dizzy:

I'd better cut off the supply, especially since there might not be symptoms right away.

Tyler
Tyler,

The contaminated food was not distributed in Michigan, so you are safe. Don't just cut your dog food off and switch to another brand if that is what you plan to do. Make the switch gradual so you don't disrupt the dogs digestive system.

Roger

However, the scare definately has me checking out my dog food more carefully.

Roger

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Bass-Hole said:
Tyler,

The contaminated food was not distributed in Michigan, so you are safe. Don't just cut your dog food off and switch to another brand if that is what you plan to do. Make the switch gradual so you don't disrupt the dogs digestive system.

Roger

Roger

I would'nt take the chance with my dog, that Diamond dog food would be going in the garbage.Just my .02

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
big no no said:
Same goes for RGS.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Bass-Hole said:
Tyler,

Roger

Roger

Better check again I am in Michigan and got bad food from them and so did Crosswinds . Crosswinds lost a pup due to the food !!!!!!!!

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122936

Andy

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Bass-Hole said:
Tyler,

Roger

Roger

You are wrong by along shot some of the Food DID in fact make it in to Michigan

what Diamond didnt plan on is some of the stores DCs recieved the food and then in turn they shipped it to the stores in Michigan

scott

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Lucky Dog said:
Habitat restoration on land with access to regular hunters, or just more improvements for the private land owner ?
It depends on the chapter. Some chapters do not have public land in their area. For those that do, some chapters do work on public lands some do not. My local chapter used to but unfortunately the plots were usually destroyed by 4wheelers tresspassing or trampled to the ground quickly by hunters. We are in the planning stages of trying this again but there is great reservation by some.

We get much of the money we raise directly from our members who own land and local businesses/sponsors who our members patronize. We also have members who do not own land but through their efforts, they often develop friendships that may lead to private land access. I am an example of this. I do not own land unless you count the 100'x200' lot my house is on. My involvement in the local chapter, first as just a volunteer now as President, has led to lots of access. I do habitat work on land owned by others who do not have the equipment. This deal allows me to hunt the land whenever I want. Some of our members do not hunt at all. They just want to help develop habitat so wildlife continues to have a chance to survive.

PF was not organized so that "regular hunters" could go kill pheasants. It was started to develop and enhance habitat for wildlife, primarily pheasants but most other species also benefit.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
As much as I liked the Diamond Proffessional, I switched last week. Just too close for comfort for me.

I switched to the food that Back Woods sells. It is called National Performance Plus and is 34% protein and 20% fat. The dog loves it and is definately working well for him already.

·
Registered
15 Posts
althought purina is a supporter of pf they are also a huge contributer to the humane society. And they are always trying to take our hunting rights away. give pride food a try. it is very good feed low waste, their coats look great.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
HYPERFORMANCE said:
althought purina is a supporter of pf they are also a huge contributer to the humane society. And they are always trying to take our hunting rights away. give pride food a try. it is very good feed low waste, their coats look great.

This is the first I have heard this you may have your Facts all confused

Purina is a sponsor of almost ALL hunting dog events that seems a far Cry from supporting the Hunane society

scott

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I feed Purina One in the off season when we are working less and not hunting or working as hard as during the season. Then come August/September I switch to Purina Pro Plan and feed it until January 1. I like both foods and have had great success with both of them from the time my dog was a puppy.

I agree with Hevi, it's to close of a call to feed Diamond when there are so many other good foods out there.
Ric

1 - 20 of 45 Posts