Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have used quite a variety of different bullets, sabots and powder charges over the years but have never tried out the Barnes bullets. I did get a satisfactory load worked up for my T/C Pro Hunter last year but never got the opportunity to shoot a deer with it. We are hunting Saskatchewan later this year and Elaine will be hunting with her muzzle loader while I will be bow hunting, however, I am also taking my muzzy as a backup.

First things first…I loaded up several different powder charges of Blackhorn 209. Some 75grains by weight (about 107 grains by volume)…

Office equipment Telephony Office supplies Telephone Gas

Also some 70 and 77 grains by weight (100 and 110 by volume)

Rectangle Gas Font Plastic Publication

I started out with my T/C Pro Hunter which I wanted to load up with 250 grain Barnes MZ Expanders

Table Machine gun Wood Air gun Plant

The sabots supplied with these bullets (not certain but I believe they are MMP HPH-12’s) were hard to load so I shot a few with the MMP HPH-24’s. They loaded easier but didnt group quite as tight as I wanted so I tried out some Harvester Black Crush Rib sabots and they loaded and grouped much better.

Wood Gas Adhesive tape Font Masking tape

Never tried indexing my sabots to the lands and grooves in the barrel but I know some claim to get better accuracy by doing so. I wasn’t 100% at the indexing as I forgot about it several times but i did with most of them.

Automotive tire Tree Asphalt Road surface Wood

This combination proved to shoot real well in my rifle so I think I’ve got a winner for this year at least - a 3/4” group at 100 yards.

Font Circle Pattern Auto part Metal

i moved the scope a few clicks left and got it hitting where I want it.

White Font Circle Pattern Number

Next up - Elaine’s Traditions Vortec…

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I was nearly out of the Harvester crush rib sabots but I had 21 - 290 grain Barnes Spitfire T-EZ’s so I decided to try them out. Elaine uses regular Winchester 209 primers in her Vortec rather than the Federal 209A’s that I shoot in my Pro Hunter. The Federal primers foul up the face of her breech plug right away. We also wrap teflon tape around the threads of her breech plug to reduce blowback. With the Blackhorn 209 powder you don't need to grease the breech plug. Between the teflon tape and the Winchester primers her breech plug remains clean as a whistle and she has never had any ignition failures.

Table Wood Recreation Office supplies Gas

I should have just started out at 50 yards with the new load but I was feeling lucky so I wasted 2 bullets at 100 yardsinstead and never hit paper. The first shot at 50 hit the very top edge of the paper so I ran the elevation down 25 clicks and moved forward from there. I shot 3 more and move the scope down another 15 and right 2. The next shot was close so I moved back to 100…

White Product Font Line Material property

First shot at 100 was low so I moved the elevation up 8 clicks and shot a great 3 shot group from there - 0.625 inches center to center on my micrometer. Elaines rifle is ready to hunt and she has 10 bullets leftover :(

Font Circle Rim Pattern Auto part

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
Good shooting. It’s been a while since Americans could hunt in Canada. I’m not saying anything has changed but double check to see if you can bring the powder of your choice across the border. Chance are good you won’t be able to find supplies north of the border.

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike - I know you can shoot better with your custom rifles but I feel real good with any kind of sub MOA accuracy on these production muzzy’s.

Thanks for the tip on transporting the powder. That is something I wanted to check on but had completely forgotten. We have our appointments to get our PCR Covid tests within 72 hours of crossing the border and we have opened our accounts on the ArriveCan website. We have both hunted Saskatchewan with centerfire rifles but this is our first trip with muzzleloaders - will definitely check into it. (y)

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again Mike. I haven't run them through the chronograph or shot them on our 200 yard range yet as we are low on both bullets and sabots. We don't expect to have to shoot much over 100 yards in Saskatchewan but if I can buy some more of these bullets I would like to shoot them some more before our muzzy season.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that I’ve got these dialed in I would like to get at least 100 bullets in both the 290 grain T-EZ and the 250 MZ Expanders. I just ordered some Harvester CR sabots yesterday from Cabelas but I only ordered one box of 50 (My bad). They usually arent too hard to come by but i will make sure I get a few boxes the next time I order.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have quite a few of the 250 and 290 Barnes TMZ boat tails (yellow sabot), but I have trouble loading them (too tight). I even tried them with the Harvester Crush Rib sabots (yellow for boat tails) and they didnt work any better. I think we are going to be happy with the flat base Barnes’ though. Hope we get to try out both models on some big deer this year.

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
I’m pretty sure I can track down TEZs and possibly MZ expanders. In my travels I’ve noticed places are starting to stock up. I just picked up a 450 BM so I’ve been picking up different .451 and .452 bullets in prep. Be prepared for sticker shock prices have gone up.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
For some cheap getting on paper shots I started using these $14 for 30 new Traditions bullet/sabot combos from Walmart. Most of my local stores have them in stock. They are a 44 cal bullet. They load about the same as a 45 4.52 with crush rib or 3P EZ in my tight bore CVA Wolf. They load very easy compared to most. Save those fancy Barnes bullets!
- Joe
Bottle Automotive tire Drink Motor vehicle Font

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I’m pretty sure I can track down TEZs and possibly MZ expanders. In my travels I’ve noticed places are starting to stock up. I just picked up a 450 BM so I’ve been picking up different .451 and .452 bullets in prep. Be prepared for sticker shock prices have gone up.
My son picked up a pack (23) of the MZ Expsnders for me that he found someplace downstate. It was the last one on the shelf. Still haven’t found any of the 290 grain Spit Fire T-EZ’s. Elaine has 9 of those left after using one on this deer (3 1/2 year old 10 point).

You can see the exit hole here….

Trophy hunting Hunting Military camouflage Deer hunting Camouflage

and the entrance hole here…

Trophy hunting Hunting Deer hunting Military camouflage Deer

Obviously, the deer was quartering to her almost head-on when she shot him. Bullet went completely through the deer and kept on going. Great terminal performance and Sub MOA accuracy in her rifle so she plans to keep shooting that load for deer.

Reactions: sparky18181

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
My son picked up a pack (23) of the MZ Expsnders for me that he found someplace downstate. It was the last one on the shelf. Still haven’t found any of the 290 grain Spit Fire T-EZ’s. Elaine has 9 of those left after using one on this deer (3 1/2 year old 10 point).

You can see the exit hole here….

View attachment 801068

and the entrance hole here…

View attachment 801069

Obviously, the deer was quartering to her almost head-on when she shot him. Bullet went completely through the deer and kept on going. Great terminal performance and Sub MOA accuracy in her rifle so she plans to keep shooting that load for deer.
I’ve been mostly hiding out at camp but I feel I’m set for a while.
Publication Shelving Technology Machine Shelf

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess you are set for a while (y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts