Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you have been fishing the river, if so where ? looking for a report...

·
Registered
908 Posts
I drove down to Alter Road today. The water looks high enough to launch. I didn't fish and there was no body in the lot. The water looked really dirty. Lakeside says that guys are catching fish in the Sturgeon Hole. I wasn't thinking I should have stopped in Moe's to see what he knows. FWIW

·
Registered
658 Posts
had a couple buddies go out last week on that 60 degree day...they werep ulling wire and well, did rather good in the sturgeon hole....one group got 26 and the other got 12.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I may try Sunday if fit gets at least above freezing. Otherwise I'll watch someone else fish on television from the warmth of my home.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
i was fishing at the launch at lake erie metropark this morning, and saw 2 guys heading out into the river in a 14' aluminum boat. they came out of the closest canal to the launch. from what i could see from where a was, there is alot of ice in the river. maybe im wrong, but still not safe in my eyes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just moved here from Wisconsin this past summer and have had some chances to fish the river and all I can say it is awsome. I have been hearing about the "sturgeon hole" could someone please give me a location of this spot? Thanks to all.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
yes The det. river is a great fishery. The Sturgeon hole is on the canadian side of peach island . it is at the tip of the island and go's about 1/4 mile into the lake . They sell a fishing hot spot map for the river. Its worth picking up and pritty accurate

·
Registered
28 Posts
jstfish,

Like Andy Capp mentioned, those guys might have been goose hunting. Or heading over to the Cross Dike, Hole-In-The-Wall or Boblo for some perch fishing. The perch bite is pretty good this time of the year and the only way you can get there is via boat.

I am pretty much on the river the whole winter as long as the ice is not packed solid. Dodging Ice in a boat is not that bad it is the submerged chunks that the prop don't like much. They key is to go slow and don't be in a hurry.

By the way the Lake Erie Metro Park is full of pack ice and there is about 200 yards of pack ice on the shoreline of the river. At least it was when I looked out the living room window yesterday.

It was open on Monday.. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts